Could my suspension clunk be the inner CV joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a clunking in the suspension for a while now. First it was the drivers side and I eventually tracked it to the top nut on the front shock not being tight. This was after fitting an OME lift, and the shop that fitted the springs to the shocks had not fully tightened the nut.
I was sure it was the same thing on the passenger side, so yesterday removed the strut to check, everything was tight. I fitted new upper ball joints to the JBA upper arms 1200 miles ago because the boots were both torn. I can feel no play in the LBJ's.

Stabilizer bushes and links all look good.

Then I found this: YouTube

This does seem to be excessive play, but then most of it seems to be on the splined axle shaft (this is the passenger side longer shaft of the front axle). Is this normal?
The vehicle is a 2002 with only 60,000 miles so I can't believe the CV joint is already shot.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video is private, can't view it. My passenger side inner cv hub had excessive up and down play, and was laying at a noticeable downward angle when viewed from the front. This was my intermediate shaft, bad one on the bottom. The resulting flopping movement of the cv hub was causing a bad clunking noise.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video is still loading, might take a while.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles for that to wear out?
Did it look like a lack of lubrication?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 125k miles. And it's not a lubricated joint, the outer axle seal rides on the shiny part. If even 125k miles is considered premature wear, then it would have been due to the extra pulling stress put on it by the suspension lift.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By lubrication, I just meant grease.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slip joint is more or less open to the elements, and there's no place to grease it when installed. I did grease up the splines of mine when putting it together, but that's probably weathered out by now.
I grabbed the splines of the shaft with a vice grips, and pried between the pliers and housing with my smaller gorilla bar to pop the shaft out. There's a tension spring clip on the axle housing side like you see on the new shaft in the picture.

Last edited:

Kerry

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread, I have a clunk up front when going over judder bars, *** holes etc.
I have replaced lower ball joints, upper control arms, sway bar bushes & links but its still there so I suspect this may be the issue.
I have about half the movement shown in the video above.
Is the only way to fix it a replacement axle?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If right side a rebuilt CV from NAPA and new intermediate shaft both if you think that is it