Cooling System Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a flush of the cooling system. after refilling and letting it run until it was at running temp for some reason it sounded weird. The Gauge never went to the hot side it stayed where it normally runs. The top hose was Hot and the bottom hose was cold. I figured it should have got alittle warm.Was just wondering if i could have got air in the system?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just did a flush of the cooling system. after refilling and letting it run until it was at running temp for some reason it sounded weird. The Gauge never went to the hot side it stayed where it normally runs. The top hose was Hot and the bottom hose was cold. I figured it should have got alittle warm.Was just wondering if i could have got air in the system?
Typical questions to start
Did you change the thermostat?
If so did you install it the right way?
Was it operating correctly before?
Did you use Hoat coolant?

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The story is i just had a rebuilt motor put in.I just hit 500 miles and It's running great. but i noticed the coolant was green and and the zerex G-05 i was using before was yellow.The guy who installed the motor was a shade tree mechanic so i thought maybe that got by him.So Just to be on the safe side i drained it and refilled with Zerex. To your Questions though yeah it is a new thermostat and it was operating correctly before. Just drove 4 miles and it never got hot.The gauge went to where it normally runs.but the bottom hose was still cool.is this normal? Did i do the right thing?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The story is i just had a rebuilt motor put in.I just hit 500 miles and It's running great. but i noticed the coolant was green and and the zerex G-05 i was using before was yellow.The guy who installed the motor was a shade tree mechanic so i thought maybe that got by him.So Just to be on the safe side i drained it and refilled with Zerex. To your Questions though yeah it is a new thermostat and it was operating correctly before. Just drove 4 miles and it never got hot.The gauge went to where it normally runs.but the bottom hose was still cool.is this normal? Did i do the right thing?

Might be a dumb question but did you bleed the system? Hows the coolant level now that you ran it?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah that. If there is air in the system, your temperature gauge may not read correctly. The temp sensor needs to in contact with the coolant as it reads coolant temperature, not air temperature. Your engine was likely running hotter than you thought it was.