Coolant Loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, I replaced the radiator cap and refilled the coolant. After maybe a month and a half, the coolant level has gone from "full" to just a 1/4 inch above "add". I don't think there is a problem with the radiator cap. I also checked the oil level, and it has not changed and looks normal. I don't see any evidence of a coolant leak inside the engine. I also don't think there is any coolant dripping on the ground, but I will clean off the garage floor and place some cardboard down to be sure.

This might have started earlier this year after the water pump went out, causing the engine to possibly overheat multiple times with no change to the temp gauge (just some smoke and a flashing battery light). I'm still not sure if the engine truly overheated or if the smoke was just from coolant on the engine. I replaced the pump and had the coolant flushed and refilled. Everything then seemed fine. I can't say how the coolant level was acting before the water pump replacement because the Jeep was relatively new to me then.

What are some possible causes of this, and where should I look? Is it possible that the water pump ordeal caused damage that started this?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a pressure test and see if it will hold pressure over an extended period.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most common place for these things to leak coolant is the upper driver's side corner of the radiator. Check there for moisture or what looks like white streaks. It can evaporate before you even notice it or it hits the ground.

You must be registered for see images attach

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^I'll do the pressure test ASAP and will clean off that spot on the radiator to see if any new streaks appear.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap! I figured out where at least some of my coolant is getting out...
You must be registered for see images attach

This literally just started today... At least, I caught it quickly.
This is coming right before the muffler on the exhaust pipe and at the tailpipe. It smells like antifreeze, and there is also white smoke coming from the exhaust!

Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap! :'(

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out exactly where you are looking. I just replaced my radiator (again) after the usual leak as illustrated above. I would have bet on the radiator since I've seen them all, but this does look like coolant in the exhaust. It isn't just condensation from the exhaust is it? Maybe just leaking out of a small gap in the pipes?

I overheated my 02 a couple years ago when my fan relay went in traffic. That pseudo Temp gauge did little good. Mine never hit the red but the head gasket(s) immediately went and started dumping coolant into the oil. You'd know by the nifty milkshake in the crankcase if it was going there. I fixed the relay and changed the oil quickly and replaced coolant adding in 24oz of that Bar's Head Gasket Fix and its been going for 2 years and about 20k. I bought the gasket set right away and lots of other stuff but haven't done it yet since I think I will just replace the heads (160k) when they leak again or the chatter gets unbearable.

Head gasket replacement doesn't look too tough but I just haven't had the time. I guess when the gasket goes there's no telling what way it's going to leak.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out exactly where you are looking. I just replaced my radiator (again) after the usual leak as illustrated above. I would have bet on the radiator since I've seen them all, but this does look like coolant in the exhaust. It isn't just condensation from the exhaust is it? Maybe just leaking out of a small gap in the pipes?

I overheated my 02 a couple years ago when my fan relay went in traffic. That pseudo Temp gauge did little good. Mine never hit the red but the head gasket(s) immediately went and started dumping coolant into the oil. You'd know by the nifty milkshake in the crankcase if it was going there. I fixed the relay and changed the oil quickly and replaced coolant adding in 24oz of that Bar's Head Gasket Fix and its been going for 2 years and about 20k. I bought the gasket set right away and lots of other stuff but haven't done it yet since I think I will just replace the heads (160k) when they leak again or the chatter gets unbearable.

Head gasket replacement doesn't look too tough but I just haven't had the time. I guess when the gasket goes there's no telling what way it's going to leak.
I am standing by the rear passenger side door, crouched down, as I look at the muffler from the passenger side. There was enough liquid dripping that I could smell it when I tried, and the smoke from the exhaust was also a sign.

I haven't overheated my engine at all recently, and I've been keeping a watchful eye on my fluids lately. The coolant looks good, but it has been slowly disappearing (I thought it was just a silly hose or something). The oil and its level are good; I changed the oil a few days ago, which showed good, clean oil. The only problems I have ever really had with my engine have been related to coolant or the cooling system, and these have just been minor problems that haven't led to overheating at all.

I've kept good care of my engine since I received the Jeep at 87,000 miles. I've changed out full synthetic oil and the filter every 3,000 miles, which is arguably overkill. I've watched all of my fluids, and I also did a coolant flush after the water pump failure. Except for when the water pump failed early this year, the engine has never overheated and has been perfect.

This just suddenly happened today, and what is funny is that I can pinpoint the exact moment and time that it started.

I'm fairly sure that it's the head gasket. I at least now know why I've been losing coolant. I'm glad to know exactly when this happened and that everything has been fine before; I don't have much worry about damage from mixed fluids before this.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah sorry, that's your head gasket. And, you may have overheated the engine without knowing it. The temperature sending unit for the gauge works by coming in contact with the coolant. It's not designed to read "air temperature" if the coolant level in the block drops out of touch with the sending unit.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd verify do a compression test and a cooling system pressure test. Never know till you verify could be a freeze plug a ******* heater core hose or something else. Never know till you verify.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'd second the headgasket and to get the pressure test just in case. Don't want to do headgaskets if it's something small like Porkchop said.

Like I said before, I never hit the "red" but that gauge isn't worth much IMO. Mine leaking into the oil did way more damage than yours likely did so far so maybe you'll just need the gaskets and surface check.

Good luck.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And its typical for the exhaust to drip condensation there and for the exhaust to be moisture rich when you first start it up on a cold morning. Pressure test is your best bet! As an example mine would only leak when parked and extremely cold. My hose clamps were installed and tightened down on a cold day when the hose was not as pliable. Didnt leak on start up or while driving - but left sit and cool down overnight I would awaken to a puddle in the driveway. Sometimes its simple things! In my case get the motor hot then re tighten the clamps.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input.

I don't have access to a pressure tester today, so I am getting it taken to a dealer I trust because I need my Jeep back ASAP. I'll check that they do the pressure and compression tests.

I might as well add that this leaking started after only 30 seconds of the engine running, and the puddle you see in the picture formed after sitting there for maybe 10 seconds.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it every morning when I start it. If you look underneath you'll see a factory hole in the muffler to let the condensate drip out there.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it every morning when I start it. If you look underneath you'll see a factory hole in the muffler to let the condensate drip out there.

I would think it's all condensation, but it is pouring out at such an alarming rate. Even if I didn't think it was a head gasket, I would have probably shut off the Jeep because I have never seen this before. It has never behaved this way before.

Mine normally drips from the tail pipe when it's cold, but not that much and not from where it is in the picture. When I first started the Jeep yesterday while it was cold, it did not act like this at all. When I started it this time (about 20 minutes after the first time), there was smoke from the exhaust and a lot of what smells like antifreeze dripping out there, which I have never seen before, even in the cold. The picture really doesn't do it justice; it was literally pouring out like a faucet that is open just enough to let a continuous stream of water out.

These are the signs I am seeing:
-Slowly losing coolant over past few months
-Excessive white smoke from exhaust
-Lots of what seems to be antifreeze dripping near the muffler and at the tailpipe

With all the signs I'm seeing, I want to play it safe and get it checked out.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust condensation doesn't smell like antifreeze. You're describing the classic symptoms of a blown head gasket.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it to me as well. Something worth noting to others, that I noticed today on my KJ, is an unexplained coolant loss with my engine. I had to add some coolant last month, and to which I have not found an external leak. I did notice today, while doing my oil change, some slight milkyness in the oil cap. I have a stinkin suspicion that I have coolant seepage from the timing cover into the engine, ugh.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it to me as well. Something worth noting to others, that I noticed today on my KJ, is an unexplained coolant loss with my engine. I had to add some coolant last month, and to which I have not found an external leak. I did notice today, while doing my oil change, some slight milkyness in the oil cap. I have a stinkin suspicion that I have coolant seepage from the timing cover into the engine, ugh.

It's common to get a milky, slimy goop on the oil filler cap and even in the filler tube itself - usually in the winter. There is a TSB out there describing the condensation that forms in the filler neck and a way to change vacuum routing to get rid of it.

Last winter I traveled a lot more than in previous years - long road trips. The extended warm temp conditions from the trips got rid of the condensate on the oil cap and the filler neck. Maybe that's what you're seeing there in Mile High country?

Bob

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I wasn't driving 15 miles each way on the highway, maybe. But with the miles I drive, I would be less inclined to believe that though. Seen the TSBs for the issue as well. I cleaned it out, going to monitor coolant consumption and the build up in the cap closer.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer thinks that the water pump is the problem. I'll find out if that fixes it soon...

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home from the dealer, and my Jeep's running fine! I didn't see any drips or leaks, and there was no smoke. I guess it was the water pump. lol I guess everything's all good now.

I just don't know how the water pump caused this. lol

Let's see how well water pump number 3 holds up...