Coolant Bleeding Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
About to top off my coolant.. which appears to randomly decline slightly on its own.. topped it off with a small bit of fluid about a week ago and has gone down slightly again with only running the car twice and not driving..
Was thinking perhaps it was air pockets settling to the top of the overflow tank and causing the fluid to lower.. but that's mostly because I don't want it to be anything else lol..
Printed the coolant procedure off alldata, and it appears to be verbatim of the information you'll find on here..
So anyways, was hoping somebody could help me to do the procedure correctly.
I'm going to top off the coolant in the pressure bottle.. tighten the cap, slightly loosen the bleeder screw on the gooseneck and let it run for a couple of minutes.. then turn the heat on high for a minute or so and continue..
Will this get all of the air out of the system or am I missing part of it.. I'd like to ensure I do it correctly so I know whether or not the coolant dropping is due to air or not..
Thank you all in advance for taking the time to respond to such a simple task.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're loosing coolant, i would suggest pressure testing your system.

if you unscrew the bleeder screw and coolant flows out, you have most of the air out of the system already.

I wouldn't touch the bleeder screw and just keep topping off the overflow tank.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience with a water pump replacement, these are extremely hard to bleed.

Park it front high on a hill and ramps and try bleeding and filling.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience with a water pump replacement, these are extremely hard to bleed.

Park it front high on a hill and ramps and try bleeding and filling.

Mine bled just fine with the cap off and heat on. Went pretty quick.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2. I've also done it with the bleeder screw too, good results either way.

Members online