Considering buying a Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a noob here. I'm thinking about selling my A4 and getting a Liberty. I was just curious what I should look for in my search. I really like the renegade package and I'll probably be looking at the '04-'06 year range. The turbo diesel is tempting coming from a turbo 4 cyl. car, but I guess that isn't an option with the renegade package. I'm also curious about performance. I'm sure there is good aftermarket support being that it is a Jeep. What are some good performance websites?

How easy are Liberties to work on? My A4 is an absolute pain to work on. (silly german engineering and their lug bolts ;))

Anyway, any info is appreciated.

edit: I just noticed the [START HERE] so that'll probably answer most or all of my questions.

Here are some pics/specs on my car (not that you all care, I just figured I'd show where I was coming from):

1999.5 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
5spd
127k miles

Engine:
APR 1.0 bar chip
APR 2.5" turbo-back exhaust
2.5" test pipe

Suspension:
Stasis Engineering coilovers (600 lb front, 700 lb rear spring rates)
neuspeed 19mm rear sway bar
CPP end-links
AWE Tuning drivetrain stabilizer

Brakes:
A8 front brake upgrade
mintex pads

Interior:
UUC short shifter
Greddy turbo timer

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car I worked on to learn how to work on cars was a 1985 Audi 5000s. I can tell you that the Liberty is MUCH EASIER to work on.

I'd recommend the CRD over the Renegade trim package, but it's all about preference.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Nah, reason they cancelled it was due to stricter emissions laws in the US.

I think it was both. People might THINK that it was a hot seller, but mine for example had issues leaving the lot, which is why I got such a good deal on it... (although I did snatch it up right under someone else, their name is in the warranty book) the dealership had begun to lose money on it. There were others in my area that collected dust on lots, and as of just a few months ago, there were still some '06 CRDs left. I'm guessing that they're all gone by now though.

Anyone want mine? For the right price, you can have it. lol3.gif

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had our renegade for 9k miles. have the v-6. went from 12-14 mpg to 14 city 22 highway. incredible change with nothing more than quality oil changes. Aftermarket stuff for liberty is not as extensive as other jeeps.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
My wife and I have a 2004 Sport. It's awesome!
Haven't really gone out an beat on it yet due to bad physical health. That and the fact that I have not driven it in over two months.
Next payday however, full skids are on order. MoPar.
October will be either a bull bar ( http://www.setina.com/bump_PB400.php )
We want a front receiver hitch for my winch and I'll not only be able to do recovery, but I will also be able to give vehicles a push when needed without damaging the front! Then next year a lift kit/ tires.

That is one sweet looking Audi A4 1.8T quattro you have!
If I were you, I would trade it in for an All Road Quattro.
I saw a few totally done out AllRoads in Germany!

However, the KJ is an awesome truck, and I will not part with this one!

(Cheers)

Ry'

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a test drive. A KJ is something totaly different then what you are used to.

Diesel engine got kicked in the US? I feel sorry for you guys...

Yeah, I definitely plan on doing a test drive. Totally different is right, I'd be doing a complete 180.

socks, thanks for the compliment! I love my A4, but maintenance is getting annoying and I don't have much time to work on it anymore. I've put way too much money into it lately. I love Audis, but I just want something different this time. I think it takes about 10 times as long to work on this thing than it does any other car. Plus I don't autocross anymore.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't say my car was even nearly as close to quick and sporty as yours, but it was decent.

I came from a 1999 Grand prix GT. High 14 second 1/4 mile, lowered. It was quick for what it was. I loved the car.

That being said, there are plenty things I like about the KJ. I don't worry about curbs. I'm not nearly as **** about it being spotless - I care for it well and keep it clean, but I am not OCD about it - it's a truck IMO. I like that it's not a rocket - I used to always drive like an idiot in the Prix. Just fast and aggressive. I really don't in the KJ - I rarely bring it over 2500 RPM and almost never over 3k. In fact, I drove the KJ for 2 months before I sold the Prix. Before I sold it, I took it for a final spin....and yeah, I was driving like a jerk right away again. It's just too tempting to me. So, although that seems like a negative for the KJ, I find it really to be a positive.

I haven't had it off-road yet (think I'll be going on the 16th), but they seem to be very capable. It rides great for what it is on the road, it's refined enough for me (versus a wrangler). Enough space without being too huge, good turning radius.

If you can't tell, I really feel I made a good move in getting one! Thought I'd really miss the Prix (I was obsessed with them, part of a large Prix/Regal community), but I really don't miss them it all.

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't say my car was even nearly as close to quick and sporty as yours, but it was decent.

I came from a 1999 Grand prix GT. High 14 second 1/4 mile, lowered. It was quick for what it was. I loved the car.

In a straight line our cars are pretty close, yours was probably slightly faster. My college roommate had a 99 GT. Handling is a different story though, those things are boats. :)

I think I have narrowed my choice down to an 05-06 black renegade.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I'd figure yours was a little quicker at least.

I had a decent amount of bolt-ons, intake/exhaust. I fully agree, handles like crap, especially when compared to a setup like yours. It did much better though after I put the 1.6" drop springs on it.

Glad you're looking at the KJ - I say mix it up, try something different. I'm glad I did.

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My car is quick down low, but the turbo is tiny and makes no power up top. I'm probably only making 210hp/245lb-ft tq and that's at the crank.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they arent too bad to work on, and dont seem to require a whole lot of work (crossing my fingers!)

I didnt realize the CRD issues until I read this post, but I would like one of them even still

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had several f-bodies (had an LT-1 car with a 355 with nice lumpy cam). Currently have a vette. I switch between driving the two regularly. Just try not to take any turns at like 50mph :p

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had several f-bodies (had an LT-1 car with a 355 with nice lumpy cam). Currently have a vette. I switch between driving the two regularly. Just try not to take any turns at like 50mph :p

F-bodies are fun, I've driven a 400hp camaro before. It's hard to keep your foot out of the gas in those things. One of these days I plan on buying a Trans Am for my toy. Yeah, it'll be hard to get used to not taking turns at higher speeds. :D

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-bodies are fun, I've driven a 400hp camaro before. It's hard to keep your foot out of the gas in those things. One of these days I plan on buying a Trans Am for my toy. Yeah, it'll be hard to get used to not taking turns at higher speeds. :D

My problem is i couldn't get any traction.

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/b4c/0/4f70b605-6433-4e50-8434-98d100e514a4.htm

That's a video of my '94 with the 355 in it. My friend bought it from me actualy, this is a video of him having some fun.

Latest posts

Members online