Confused by part description.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bunnyfoofoo

Reaction score
So as I mentioned in my last post I am trying to replace the u-joints in my rear drive shaft. I decided it would be easier to just replace it with a new one (I checked last night and its from 2003) and take whatever time I get to replace the u-joints on the old drive shaft and restore it the best I can. Then I can swap them out on demand.

As I am looking for a new drive shaft, I found one on Rock Auto that looked good until I read the description. It said it came pre-balanced with 100% new yokes, CV joints and universal joints. But when you look at the specifications box it shows CV Joints Included : No

Um, ok. Does anyone have any experience buying from Rock Auto, and should I be concerned? Its the Dorman 946386. Has anyone had any experience buying this particular part? Thanks in advance.

Bunny

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as I mentioned in my last post I am trying to replace the u-joints in my rear drive shaft. I decided it would be easier to just replace it with a new one (I checked last night and its from 2003) and take whatever time I get to replace the u-joints on the old drive shaft and restore it the best I can. Then I can swap them out on demand.

As I am looking for a new drive shaft, I found one on Rock Auto that looked good until I read the description. It said it came pre-balanced with 100% new yokes, CV joints and universal joints. But when you look at the specifications box it shows CV Joints Included : No

Um, ok. Does anyone have any experience buying from Rock Auto, and should I be concerned? Its the Dorman 946386. Has anyone had any experience buying this particular part? Thanks in advance.

Bunny
Have good experience from Rockauto buying, I've replace my Liberty Renegade ujoints once, bought them from auto zone and beat them out,made jig out of 2x6 drilled hole in 2x6 sat there and beat them out, or pay a driveshaft shop $100, goodluck

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some drive shafts have cv joints such as your front, whle others like the rear only have u joints, which is why no cv joints are included in the description.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some drive shafts have cv joints such as your front, whle others like the rear only have u joints, which is why no cv joints are included in the description.
On my 2004 the front drive shaft needs to be rebuilt, maybe send yours out! You can drive without it.

Bunnyfoofoo

Reaction score
Dorman 946386 is the rear driveshaft and has a u joint at each end.

Swapping out ujoints is awfully easy unless they are really rusted in there.
They might be. I will try to find out as soon as the Florida rain stops. If it ever stops. Thanks for the reply.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bunny
Dorman part #946386 rear driveshaft cost about $700. you could save and remove driveshaft and have ujoints replaced!