CommandTrac to SelecTrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the color difference between the front to back door just in the picture? Appears from the photo it was panel painted with no blends..
But as I said, could just be the picture. Hundreds of ways to tell in person though

I think it was just bad lighting, shadow effects and all that. I saw it too....

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be my opinion that a better differential in the rear would accomplish much of the task you're looking to cover with a selectrac. Perhaps a DTT would be in order. To be fair, that's the route I plan on taking, as soon as I decide if I want to regear to 4.10's or not.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and if The Orange One gets in here, he'll tell you it's a bad idea because you have a stick shift and you'll blow up the transfer case. (something about shock loads.)

Actually can,and most likely will,cause weird drivability issues in full time and why the select trac was never offered behind a manual trans Jeep ever and the select trac has been around for like 25-30 years now and put into 4 different platforms(XJ,ZJ,WJ,and KJ).

Oh and it's not because it can't handle the torque or anything since a similar version was also used in the Military HMMWV's,same case and internals but no option for 2wd mode.

It is weaker then the 231 command trac and it's also a in-direct shift t-case so mis-matched tires(to much tread depth difference,different makes of tires,different sizes, or PSI) will cause shifting issues.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I just thought it was weaker since they looked like it inside plus so many got torn up.
But then people thought they could lock them in and run 1000s of miles and never do anything with them. Reason we always referred to them as the City Slicker Transfer Case. Use them to go get a candy bar when there's 2 foot of snow on the road.
Never liked them, never will even though we own one in the 05 Limited. ( Seats and transfer case is what I dislike about it. )
Locker(s) and good tires for me is much better option.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just thought it was weaker since they looked like it inside plus so many got torn up.
But then people thought they could lock them in and run 1000s of miles and never do anything with them. Reason we always referred to them as the City Slicker Transfer Case. Use them to go get a candy bar when there's 2 foot of snow on the road.
Never liked them, never will even though we own one in the 05 Limited. ( Seats and transfer case is what I dislike about it. )
Locker(s) and good tires for me is much better option.

Yeah Tom, LOL, but if you use them right they are just fine. They work great on patchy snow, ice, and bare pavement driving like the OP was talking. That's it though. That's what "full time" was made for. Not to just leave it engaged for 1,000's of bare highway use or off-road and totally snow covered roads and such.

The "city slicker t-case" is the newer electronic ones where you have a dial that says "slippery setting", "snow/ice", and "oh crap in my pants" "where's my crash helmet" settings.....the dumbing down of drivers...LOL

The 242 is ok for it's intended use. Problem is people just don't know how to use stuff. But the 231 is a stronger unit.

Anyway, I wouldn't go out for a candy bar unless there was at least 4 feet of snow and white-out conditions.....LOL

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Tom, LOL, but if you use them right they are just fine. They work great on patchy snow, ice, and bare pavement driving like the OP was talking. That's it though. That's what "full time" was made for. Not to just leave it engaged for 1,000's of bare highway use or off-road and totally snow covered roads and such.

The "city slicker t-case" is the newer electronic ones where you have a dial that says "slippery setting", "snow/ice", and "oh crap in my pants" "where's my crash helmet" settings.....the dumbing down of drivers...LOL

The 242 is ok for it's intended use. Problem is people just don't know how to use stuff. But the 231 is a stronger unit.

Anyway, I wouldn't go out for a candy bar unless there was at least 4 feet of snow and white-out conditions.....LOL

Dave

Thats the problem and we're all being forced into the dumbing down of driving skills.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem and we're all being forced into the dumbing down of driving skills.

Yeah and the dumbing down of all other skills and everything else too...

Dave

dhula

Reaction score
Re the selectrac tcase, one thing I noticed being new to the KJ is the shift pattern compared to other Tcases that have the same kind of modes

I have a Pajero (Montero in the US) which has a tcase with a shift pattern that goes --> 2H - 4H (4wd high range centre diff unlocked) - 4HLc (4wd high range centre diff locked) - 4LLc (low range centre diff locked)
The KJ tcase shift pattern goes --> 2wd - 4Parttime (4wd high range centre diff locked) - 4Fulltime (4wd high range centre diff unlocked) - 4Lo (low range centre diff locked)

An observation for me is that if I was to move the tcase lever up one notch in the KJ I'd end up with the car in 4wd and the centre diff locked which may cause damage if driven on the road whereas in the Paj if I do the same (move it one notch up) I can drive on the road all day long with no problems.

A couple of questions,
Are the wrecked selectrac tcases mentioned above due in some way to the way the shift pattern is with some owners/drivers driving on roads with the tcase in 4Parttime instead of 4Fulltime?
After reading through this thread it seams the selectrac isn't the best suited for leaving in 4Fulltime and it's better to shift into 2wd. Is this the case or can it be left in 4Fulltime, full time.

Cheers

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is probably the biggest thing that damages good Selec trac cases is owner ignorance.

And you could just leave it in full time, but my impression of it after having it for 10 years is that it gets cranky if it stays in one position too long when you go to change it. I usually leave mine in 4full most of the winter, although I like to put it into 2wd for a few days at a time or for higher speed driving. In the summer, I'll run it in 4full for a few days a month too for the hell of it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You should always shift in and out of 4WD every now and again no matter what transfer case you have.
One guy down home had a Cherokee for 3 years ( well wife's main ride ) Then she got a new one and he got the old one.
ANYWAYS he comes out to play in the woods with us. It had never been in 4WD, ever ! We had a heck of a time even getting it to engage then getting it back out was worse.

SSRodriguez

Reaction score
UPDATE TO ALL
As of today, I have a fully functional Selec-Trac in my 5 Speed Manual Liberty Renegade. We have pretty thoroughly tested it, all seems good. The change went through with no complications from what we expected. I will post further updates as I road test it through out the year to determine long term reliability.
NOTE: The only real issue was that we were unable to get the Full Time light on the dash to come on, despite I know the light is there, and CAN light up. But I am alright with not having it if that is the only issue we ran into. Everything works like a charm, and after the mechanic fully exploring the 242 case, he really could not come up with a valid reason as to why there should be any issues.

I'll keep you all posted on the year long road durability test

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool! :happy160: This is a mod I'd like to do to ours.

Did you source a KJ np242, or did you use one from something else? (i.e. XJ, WJ, ZJ, Durango, etc.)

SSRodriguez

Reaction score
Probablly got lucky, pulled it out of a Pay & Pull place sitting NEXT to a KJ. was hoping it came from it, had the right markings. Pulled the shifter directly out of the liberty though. However, upon inspection, you wouldn't need the shifter, the original is exacktly the same, just not marked correctly. the connection gives you the additional full time, not the lever itself, if that makes sense to you.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad the shifter isn't required!

I might be using a 242 from an XJ.... proved the fit with the 6-speed already. :icon_mrgreen:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE TO ALL
As of today, I have a fully functional Selec-Trac in my 5 Speed Manual Liberty Renegade. We have pretty thoroughly tested it, all seems good. The change went through with no complications from what we expected. I will post further updates as I road test it through out the year to determine long term reliability.
NOTE: The only real issue was that we were unable to get the Full Time light on the dash to come on, despite I know the light is there, and CAN light up. But I am alright with not having it if that is the only issue we ran into. Everything works like a charm, and after the mechanic fully exploring the 242 case, he really could not come up with a valid reason as to why there should be any issues.

I'll keep you all posted on the year long road durability test

Cool. I'm glad this worked out for you. Also interested in your long term report.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online