Coil #5 keeps melting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertySport

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Coil #5 keeps melting and I have a feeling it's not the only one. I have seen it happen to others just none as bad as coil #5. It's almost as if half the coil has been melted down to nothing.

What is causing this to happen? My CEL consistently stays on for the coil P0305 for fault and will choose between the rest for pending after a few weeks.

Is this an electrical issue? I'm just so burnt on working on this damn Jeep...It's wearing me down especially being the only vehicle I own.

Thanks

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK plugs

Check the label in the engine compartment. It will tell you the NGK plug part number that you should be using. If you use other plugs, they can cause excessive heat and thus melted coils. As others have said this is the place to start.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring to the coil and trace it back making sure there aren't any cracks/splits/cuts where it may be touching metal and grounding out.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm......

can you post a picture of the melted coil?
Also can you post what's your process when your replace spark plug to all the way to installing the coil?

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you overheating? Sorry had to ask, seen it with my father in-laws rx1. Overheated so bad it melted all the coils.