Codes 0300 and 0344 - Rev issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomknight

Reaction score
Daughter's '06 Limited 3.7 (180k miles) developed a sudden issue where it runs rough above 2500 rpm. Under 2500, it runs fine. CEL came on when it developed the idle issue 2 days ago, and today it stalled upon start up up twice, but once started, ran fine under 2500 rpm.

I replaced the plugs about a year ago, which was only about 6k miles in her driving.

Went to autozone and pulled codes, and it had P0300 - random misfires multiple cylinders, and P0344, which had a number of things, the top of which was a possible cam sensor issue.

I took it to Goodyear, and they opened the hood, listened to it, said it threw a rod, and the engine is shot. I asked them how exactly they knew it was a rod, and they said it was loud - they didn't look at it at all.

This engine has always been loud. However, it doesn't seem any worse than several I've heard on youtube. When it's low on oil, it gets even louder, which I am thinking maybe it is.

I really doubt it kicked a rod. It wasn't any noisier than it's ever been, IMHO.

When I described the non-noise issues, they thought it sounded like a cam sensor before they pulled any codes.

So, I am thinking that tomorrow I will make sure it has oil, and replace the cam sensor, and see how it runs then.

Can the cam sensor cause the above? I also read another thread about fuel injectors, so I'll put some STP in the tank too.

I was thinking it could be a fuel pump issue, but wouldn't that have its own code?

Any ideas/thoughts much appreciated.

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thrown rocker arm possibly? When my 05 threw an exhaust rocker and back fired through the intake manifold causing the multiple misfire code

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300+344 about 80% of the time is the cam position sensor

a thrown rocker arm will almost always come with one code from 301-306, and possibly 363 if and when it decides to shut off fuel to the affected cyl.

if it also had 340 i'd say there was a potential issue besides the sensor itself but since it doesn't , the sensor alone should square it away. make sure you disconnect the battery and all that jazz

tomknight

Reaction score
Thanks much. Going to go change it now (daughter is about an hour away). Will report back this eve.

tomknight

Reaction score
Well, changed the CPS, and the car runs fine. It was a quart low on oil, which makes it loud. While underneath it, I did notice some oil on the underside. Not a lot, and it doesn't leave drips on the drive.

So, the next task will be to find and repair this oil leak.

I only did a limited test drive, but the daughter will report in later today after she drives it some more.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil pressure sensor next to the oil filter and valve cover gaskets are pretty typical , the valve cover gaskets in particular only have a service life of about 8-10 years before they harden and start leaking

tomknight

Reaction score
Thanks sir. I figured the first place to check was valve cover gaskets. I've done that on my other daughter's X5 a few times, but that has an inline 6, so it's right up top, easy to check and replace.

This car looks to be a little more annoying that one for the valve cover gaskets. More than made up for it though with how easy it was to replace the alternator.

oil pressure sensor next to the oil filter and valve cover gaskets are pretty typical , the valve cover gaskets in particular only have a service life of about 8-10 years before they harden and start leaking

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be a lot worse, could be a chevy 3.4 or one of the pontiacs that you had to pull a motor mount bolt and tilt the engine forward to do the valve covers. lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be a lot worse, could be a chevy 3.4 or one of the pontiacs that you had to pull a motor mount bolt and tilt the engine forward to do the valve covers. lol

I've done hundreds of 3.1/3.4 valve cover gaskets(both including intake gaskets) and not once ever need to tilt the engine,even in the minivans.Average time to do intake gaskets(including both valve covers) was 2.5 hours for cars and 3 hours for minivans.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done hundreds of 3.1/3.4 valve cover gaskets(both including intake gaskets) and not once ever need to tilt the engine,even in the minivans.Average time to do intake gaskets(including both valve covers) was 2.5 hours for cars and 3 hours for minivans.

even for the 3.4 z34 lumina? rear valvecover is under the firewall

suppose i could have been more specific