Clunking and popping in front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlicata

Reaction score
So I just finished redoing the suspension on my 04’ liberty, and I’ve put about 500 miles on it with the new parts and it’s been fantastic. ( al’s a-arms, ome coil springs, bilstein shocks, moog lower ball joints.) Yesterday all of a sudden it just started making clunking noises in the front when I make turns, and articulate the suspension in any manor (like going up a steep driveway or speed bump). I can’t pinpoint if the noise is biased to a particular side, but it sounds like both. It’s gotten worse just into the 20 miles I’ve driven today. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

dlicata

Reaction score
Could the ball joints in my JBA UCA’s have failed? It almost sounds like that’s where it’s coming from

dlicata

Reaction score
Absolutely. The install was done to spec with Marlin Gehman’s (jba) video

Also I can for sure hear it from the drivers side now, there’s a certain point in the steering where it pops every time

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can tighten the sway bar links more.
In my experience, they have to be tighter than the official torque requirements, or they will make all kinds of nasty noises.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you tighten everything with full weight on the ground, including sway bar links
Just go back over everything once again

dlicata

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I tightened the swaybar links while it was jacked up so that could be it.. should I unbolt them on the ground and then just bolt them back on, or lift it to undo them and then drop it to put back on?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I tightened the swaybar links while it was jacked up so that could be it.. should I unbolt them on the ground and then just bolt them back on, or lift it to undo them and then drop it to put back on?

Unbolt, bounce on it and then reinstall and tighten

dlicata

Reaction score
Is the front sway bar okay to leave disconnected while off road?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the front sway bar okay to leave disconnected while off road?

Some do, although you don't really gain that much
Once while wheeling down in Kentucky we tried both ways with one guys KJ , same place, same height, nothing different than having sway bar attached and unattached. Not that much difference ( Oh and with 3 inch OME lift )

crasher

Reaction score
Old thread, I know, sorry.

I threw a JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit in, and about 4 months later the front end started making a popping sound as I would slowly transition from left, thru center, to right, or vice-versa.
It'd also do it as I went over a speed bump with one wheel ahead of the other.

All slow speed stuff, probably did it a higher speeds too, I just didn't feel/hear it as well.

The JBA longer links fixed it right up.
I'd have gone with stock links if I didn't have the lift in.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Old thread, I know, sorry.

I threw a JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit in, and about 4 months later the front end started making a popping sound as I would slowly transition from left, thru center, to right, or vice-versa.
It'd also do it as I went over a speed bump with one wheel ahead of the other.

All slow speed stuff, probably did it a higher speeds too, I just didn't feel/hear it as well.

The JBA longer links fixed it right up.
I'd have gone with stock links if I didn't have the lift in.

Never did install longer links on 4.25 inch JBA or the 2.5 inch JBA, never any noises
Maybe yours was just worn out??

crasher

Reaction score
Never did install longer links on 4.25 inch JBA or the 2.5 inch JBA, never any noises
Maybe yours was just worn out??

Agreed, probably just worn out.
Only point I considered was that the popping didn't start until after I installed the Silver kit at about 125K.

But since I was replacing them, I went with JBA's recommendation.