Clunk when transferring to 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, today I was sitting in a buddies driveway and dropped it into 4X4 and when I shifted to drive after it was in 4x4, I heard a loud clunk. To the point where I was at the end of his driveway parked and he heard it in his garage...it kind of jolted as well. Has anyone else Experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your user manuel there is a section about speed and procedure to shift from 2wd to all mode. I strongly suggest you take a peak a it just in case ;)

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read it and actually browsed the manual a bit just for the hell of it, I had no clue I could shift I to 4x4 at speeds up to 55mph...even though it's probably not too smart haha. I still don't understand the part time 4x4 cuz when I put it in part time, it always feels like it's in 4x4. So it feels more like full time anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I still don't understand the part time 4x4 cuz when I put it in part time, it always feels like it's in 4x4. So it feels more like full time anyways.

That confused me when I first read it, too. It means that you should only use it part time. Once it's in 4WD it is on, all the time, just don't leave it on unless the roads/trails are really slippery. In other words, don't try to drive full time in 4WD, just use it that part of the time you really need it. :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of a misnomer. I think of 4 full time like AWD and 4 part time like plain 4 high.