Clunk sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Noticed that on my to and from ECS on the highway, when going at highway speeds (65-75mph), I have a strange clunk noise coming from the passenger front. It seems most apparent when the wheel drops (like into a low spot into the pavement). It sounds like a ball joint clunk but I just checked them and there isn't any play. Could something be loose? Like a sway bar end link, or something of that nature?

Thanks!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a few clunks after the lift. Just had to loosen, put more pressure, then retorque all the sway bar links.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just checked the A arms...don't see any evidence of contact.

If something were loose, how loose would it have to be to make noise? I gave everything a good tug and it seemed tight.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the A arms...don't see any evidence of contact.

If something were loose, how loose would it have to be to make noise? I gave everything a good tug and it seemed tight.

I'm guessing torque spec. Hopefully someone else can chime in. When was the last time you changed your bushings as well? Just from experience it helped when I did mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The torque specs are in the FSM, right?

The only bushings that are not original are the UCA ones and the sway bar ones.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Found them...p45-46.

Just retightened the bolts/nuts that were easier to get too, namely the sway bar bushings bolts (significantly below torque spec) and the lower bolts on the sway bar end links (were a bit below spec). Didn't get to anything other than that. Going to go take it for a drive to see if it's any tighter.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still have the noise or did that fix the issue?:popcorn: I still have mine. I re-torqued the lower ball joints, tie rod end links, sway bar end links and sway bushing mounts. I'll try the upper ball joints next weekend.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just an update....there is nothing to update. :D It still is clunking so I was wondering if there's any new ideas out there.

The clunk still happens when the wheels drop like into a pot hole or ruts in the road. Steering doesn't effect it, no pulling or anything like that. Tires are evenly worn. Checked a few months ago for play in the lower ball joints and didn't notice any. Plus they got replaced under that recall a few years back, not saying they're not the issue but they are new(er). About that same time I unbolted the lower bolts for the end links and drove around the block and the clunk was much more pronounced, FWIW. Any fresh ideas? Thanks.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update....there is nothing to update. :D It still is clunking so I was wondering if there's any new ideas out there.

The clunk still happens when the wheels drop like into a pot hole or ruts in the road. Steering doesn't effect it, no pulling or anything like that. Tires are evenly worn. Checked a few months ago for play in the lower ball joints and didn't notice any. Plus they got replaced under that recall a few years back, not saying they're not the issue but they are new(er). About that same time I unbolted the lower bolts for the end links and drove around the block and the clunk was much more pronounced, FWIW. Any fresh ideas? Thanks.

Shot in the dark... Got any loose items in the engine compartment?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not that I know of....but I'll look into that when it's above 0!

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine skid plate bolts all tight? I Had a loose one for some reason and it would make a pop noise in same scenario you are having. Do you know the condition of your intermediate shaft? How old are the CV axles?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the CVs are original (except for the tcase one) but I have no roaring or grinding noises like what I'm used to from a CV.

I think the skid plate bolts are tight, I'll check it. Also maybe I should note that sometimes I can feel it a little bit in the floor.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...Top plate nuts tight? I believe they torque to 100 or 110. But you said you feel it on the floor...

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Checked those too. I can only feel it sometimes- and it's not necessarily related to how hard the clunk is. Strange isn't it?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HJ, did you replace the sway bar links? That's what I ended up doing (went to OEM's instead of aftermarket) and the clunk went away. I also felt it in the floor - kind of a "pop" when it happens, right?

Try this test: Go around a sharp corner fast enough to "load up" the wheel on the outside of the turn. Then after a short distance take a corner in the opposite direction and "unload" the first wheel. If you hear a pop then it is the sway bar link. Load and unload the opposite wheel and listen for the pop - if you hear it again both links need replaced.

After a lot of trial and error that's how I figured out the source of the noise on mine.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Haven't yet. I'll do that test when the roads are cleaned up a bit, if I did that now it'd be too much fun, if you catch my drift. (Pun intended) :D. Thanks