clunk/grinding noise while accelerating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t-tops

Reaction score
i've been hearing this quick "clunk clunk clunk" while slowly/moderately accelerating from a dead stop lately, and wanted to get some ideas before taking the jeep to the dealer. has anyone had this problem before? the previous owner was told by the dealer that it's normal to make that noise, but a couple of kj owners i've asked about this haven't had the problem.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was making that noise cause I had some how torn the cv boot on the front drive shaft. Probably with some brush or maybe a rock got thrown up there. I heard a quiet clunking all the time, in 4 wheel or not, and thought my ****** might be thinking about giving up. Then when I was down in Wv I had to ford a creek a couple of feet deep. Water got in the torn boot and that was it. Right after that it got even louder. Then it binded up twice. REALLY loud clunk. When I put it in 4 wheel it made a horrible racket. Took it in to Richards Trans in Akron. They are awsome. Drained and refilled my transfer case. All OK there. Then they found a new used front drive shaft in Wisconsin for 150 bucks. DC wanted, big surprise, about 550 for one!!

The whole job cost $190.

I would crawl under and see if you have a torn boot on the front drive shaft. Or damage to the rear. If not I hope it isn't your ****** or transfer case.

t-tops

Reaction score
Mine was making that noise cause I had some how torn the cv boot on the front drive shaft. Probably with some brush or maybe a rock got thrown up there. I heard a quiet clunking all the time, in 4 wheel or not, and thought my ****** might be thinking about giving up. Then when I was down in Wv I had to ford a creek a couple of feet deep. Water got in the torn boot and that was it. Right after that it got even louder. Then it binded up twice. REALLY loud clunk. When I put it in 4 wheel it made a horrible racket. Took it in to Richards Trans in Akron. They are awsome. Drained and refilled my transfer case. All OK there. Then they found a new used front drive shaft in Wisconsin for 150 bucks. DC wanted, big surprise, about 550 for one!!

The whole job cost $190.

I would crawl under and see if you have a torn boot on the front drive shaft. Or damage to the rear. If not I hope it isn't your ****** or transfer case.

thanks alot... im gonna go crawl underneath and check now. ive got the extended warranty though, so i may just take her to the dealership if this isn't it.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was how my transfer case went bad. First the clunking, I first thought it was the front driveshaft, but after I removed that the clunking became scraping. CV joints are also a possibility, but they usually clunk when turning.