clicking noise underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this has me. at slow speeds, and what appears to only be during warmed up operating temp, the jeep has a tick from what sounds like underneath the rear.

I got under, checked drive shafts, they seem good, they turn just with the slack, but no more.

I cannot figure out how to recreate it. I thought it was a brake issue when coming to a stop, but then i heard it as i would accelerate from a stop. Most of the time it is only when going under 10MPH, but it did it once while driving probably 30 or so.

any thoughts/ideas?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I had my anti rattle springs for the brake pads fall out on the drivers side. This gave a clicking noise up to about 30 mph. Tha pad was following the rotor up then dropping back down causing the click.

Does your noise get faster with acceleration? Is the noise still there when you let off the gas?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, I have had it both while slowing down to a complete stop, while depressing the brakes. also had it while accelerating from a stop.

i was thinking brake myself, but how would I still have it while depressing brakes.

it does not change speed, and again, it doesnt always do this, and when it does it will be 5-8 clicks then stop when the vehicle is stopped. this is why i checked the driveline.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
The noise is still there even when you are stopped? I would pull all 4 wheels and check things out on the brakes first, just to be on the safe side.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is in regards to my first question. I am wondering, where were the ball joints that were recalled? front, lower?

I need to figure out what is going on, is it a hub, ball joint, sounds like something clicking, like a bad bearing, but only at slow speeds??

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep driving it until it gets really loud then try to find it
quiet noises turn into louder ones before they break
some times the jeep fairy will come to your house when you sleep and fix it for you but break some thing else in the process

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is a stupid rear caliper/brake issue. With temp outside finally staying up on average, it seems to have gone away. Every year when temp starts to change we get the sticky brake deal, maybe this was related.

My wife claims she does not hear this.....................