Cleaning the Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the 5th owner of my KJ. It's also at 148k so I know there's going to be maintenance and would rather do preventive maintenance. I'm thinking about cleaning up the throttle body.

Thoughts on replacing the Idle Air Control Valve while it's apart? I'm only seeing Crown, BWD and Standard brands.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't bothered cleaning the throttle body but I replaced the TPS and it helped a lot with acceleration
Might want to look into those as well

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the 5th owner of my KJ. It's also at 148k so I know there's going to be maintenance and would rather do preventive maintenance. I'm thinking about cleaning up the throttle body.

Thoughts on replacing the Idle Air Control Valve while it's apart? I'm only seeing Crown, BWD and Standard brands.

Your TB is 100% electronic and plastic and it has a special coating that will be removed trying to clean it with anything besides hot soapy water.You will have to remove the TB to do this and must not try and open the butterfly or you will damage the TB assembly.

Oh and no IAC or TPS on your KJ since the electronic TB has all of that integrated into the TB and not serviceable.

What can happen if you force that butterfly open....................
You must be registered for see images attach

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I just heard the sound of brakes slamming on plans to clean my TB.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will mess with mine.

Dave

2002KJLimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002, went to the effort of porting and polishing a TB for 6 hours to find that it had a different idle air valve... So I'm stuck with a performance part for a car most people consider a family car.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TB on my 07 has never needed cleaning, preventative maint change all fluids, plugs, coils, water pump, idler pully, belt etc...