Class III hitch questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt

Reaction score
My fiancee just bought her '09 Jeep KK last night. We have a small boat and we'd like to use the KK to tow it. The stealership wanted $600 to install a class III hitch :eek:.

I can do the hitch installation, not a problem. It's the wiring part that I'm not comfortable with. How hard is it to do the wiring part?

Oh yeah... here is the obligatory picture of the new KK:

You must be registered for see images

UPDATE 2-23-2010:

Ordered hitch and wiring from this place: http://www.justforjeeps.com/hitchreceiver3.html

My wife and I installed it. Setup was really easy, even the wiring part. It's all plug and play. At the end, I tested the wiring with a multimeter and it worked! There is no need for you to take your jeep to the dealer for them to "activate" it, since it works perfectly fine 100%.

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Try Napa/ Auotzone/PepBoys....any parts supplier, they may be able to get you a plug and play wiring kit that just plugs into the tail light harness of the KK.

Search the interweb for such a kit, they got to be out there for the 09's

wingnuts

Reaction score
remember the libby has a towing capacity of 5000 pounds and if you srap on a hitch you may be scrapping on effectiveness, you whould hate for soemthing to give out taking that boat down the highway at 70 mph

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the wiring kit from the dealer costs about $50, the one that hooks into the tail light connectors. I just removed the two tail light clusters and spliced into the wires there.
I can give you the wire colours if your'e interested.

XJ Man

Reaction score
Brake Controller

Anybody know if there is a quick slice under the dash of a KK for a brake controller.. WOuld like to properly tow my tandem axle utility trailer..

Boblemoche

Reaction score
pics of the factory hitch. be carefull if you buy an aftermarket hitch since it has to fit around the spare tire

You must be registered for see images attach

jrebeiro

Reaction score

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You sure that will work on the '09 liberty?

I was looking for the same thing... I can install the hitch myself but the KK wiring kit says it needs a dealer scan code to activate it. I too, did not want to pay the $650 the dealer wants for install.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/hitchreceiver3.html is what I am planning on purchasing.

Well I am not exactly sure, but I would have to imagine that a direct plug in kit is available for the 09 Liberty...try your local stealer-ship.

jrebeiro

Reaction score
That one definitely won't work in the Liberty.

I got the guys at justforjeeps to upload the installation instructions for the proper wiring kit item# 82210642AC

You can find it here:

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210642.pdf

I am leaning more towards just having the dealer do it. I'd save ~$200 doing it myself but then I still have to bring the car to the dealer for the activation and putz around with the wiring. Maybe I'll install the hitch myself and have them just do the wiring.

I'll probably just wait till next year when I actually will need the thing.

light200

Reaction score
2010 KK Tow Package Problem

I have a 2010 sport 4x4, it did not come with the factory tow package. I bought the MOpar Hitch and wiring kit, installed with no problems whatsoever. What else do i need to complete the "factory" tow package? HD Transmission cooler? Extra fans? Something different about the transmissions? TSC option? Please help.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one definitely won't work in the Liberty.

I got the guys at justforjeeps to upload the installation instructions for the proper wiring kit item# 82210642AC

You can find it here:

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82210642.pdf

I am leaning more towards just having the dealer do it. I'd save ~$200 doing it myself but then I still have to bring the car to the dealer for the activation and putz around with the wiring. Maybe I'll install the hitch myself and have them just do the wiring.

I'll probably just wait till next year when I actually will need the thing.
Worked on my 08 with no trip to Dealer. Installed MOPAR hitch and 7 way wire harness.I Have not hooked up brake controller yet have not needed it yet.

Matt

Reaction score
Good to see this thread still alive.

My wife ordered a factory hitch and got it today. I'll be installing it today.

Matt

Reaction score
I just installed the hitch and wiring. The "dealer must scan to activate" is ********! I just tested it with a multimeter and everything works 100%. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to take it to the dealership.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought every time I've posted I killed a thread ! Glad I didn't. I knew it worked on my 08,thought it would for you too. I paid around 166.00 for Mopar hitch and think like 130 for the 7 way wire harness(alot) but it looks Factory.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any thing for the dealer to activate as the TCS program can not be flash on to PCM with a dealer scan tool

zoomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrestled with this myself until I saw the installation instructions for the Curt Hitch. Pre-drilled holes with nuts welded in place, couldn't be easier. I'd recommend you get the proper torque though.

The T shaped wire harness just plugs in.