Christmas came early

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Santa didn't bring it, I had to pay but still, Christmas on Dec. 4th. Fed Ex delivered my Lift kit, TM econo lift. Picked up my CV assemblies and seal puller from NAPA yesterday also. My intermidiate shaft, axle seals, 35MM socket, 21 MM wrench, all on planes and trucks about to converge at my house over the next week. Expensive but damn fine day indeed. I even had time to do rust repair work on my KJ doors and then headliner reglueing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what you think when switching from a Daystar to a full spring lift.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me thinks you're gonna love it! :icon_mrgreen:

Take pics (if not for us then for your own records...) and let us know how the install goes. Lots of help on here if you get stuck or have questions - but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Another lifted KJ to prowl the streets! :peace:

Bob

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post pics, I should have everything, or most everything I think I need. Plus, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and Lowes, are all withing bicycle distance. Now I just need a day and a half of no one in the house. My two year old sees me working on something and she gets her stroller out, flips it over, lays down a towel next to it and says- I need tools!

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after reading of the fun to remove and install LBJs I will be estimate back in to 9 hours for the whole job, CVs, A arms, full suspension, LBJs, and chasing tools that I throw across the yard or into the stratosphere.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after reading of the fun to remove and install LBJs I will be estimate back in to 9 hours for the whole job, CVs, A arms, full suspension, LBJs, and chasing tools that I throw across the yard or into the stratosphere.

Well, rent a ball joint press from AutoZone or some such place to make it easy to install the new joints. Use a BFH on the side of the spindle to separate the spindle from the lower and upper control arms; once the spindle is out of the vehicle it's easy to press out the old joint and press in the new one.

Get a couple of extensions for your ratchet so you can get to the rear UCA nut/bolt on the driver's side; if you don't have the mechanical fan you'll be able to get a good arc with the ratchet in front of the engine if the extensions are long enough.

When installing the new front springs/shocks, have ratchet straps handy to pull the clevis in toward the center of the Jeep to line it up with the bushing in the lower control arm so you can get the bolt in - especially on the driver's side.

I did the entire suspension install by myself thanks to great pointers by TomMudd, tjkj2002, Twack, HoosierJeeper and others. A tip that really helped was to go through all of the bolts around the shock/spring towers and loosen them before the day of install. If they are stubborn use something like PB Blaster, Aerokroil or other loosening agent so you're not busting knuckles (or bolts!) the day you're working on it.

I'm putting the Over/Under at 7 hours - and I'm betting Under. Don't know what I'll win but just want you to know I have confidence in you! :smokin:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
... just want you to know I have confidence in you! :smokin: ...
Great post, though you may have sacrificed a little of your credibility with the doobie-toking rasta man at the end. (rotflmao)

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, I always presoak with PBB a day or two before a job, especially outboard motors. I really should not have any difficulty, I will probably take the time to clean and paint some things, or at least clean, and I will have the A arm pockets to cut out and paint.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have air tools available please make use of them.....so you won't feel beaten down the next day.:evil:

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely. I have a compressor that doesn't run my impact gun well but is good enough for my air ratchet.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have air tools available please make use of them.....so you won't feel beaten down the next day.:evil:

Nah just need a breaker bar and a 6ft pipe. Air tools most likely don't have the power If they are rusted on.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never use air tools on any of the lifts done here, I like to feel how the bolts are coming off and going on.
Plus with air tools a lift would only take 30-40 minutes :Good or Bad:

bdons_crd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pneumatics are nice to break things down, but I always put it all back together by hand.

Sent from My Porcelain Throne using Tapatalk

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just mentioning them as an aid. I used a breaker bar on the stubborn spots. If I had planned better I would have did a pre-soak the day before so all the various nuts and bolts would have been a bit easier to get off. Won't be nearly as hard the next time since I did some corrosion treatment and prevention.....and I won't try to put conduit rings on the frankie when it's brand new.:laughing1:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All air tools here, aint nobody got time for hand tools! lol I'm actually pretty **** about my own stuff, so I'll use more hand tools on some things. Will see how tomorrow goes, considering the antics I saw today.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an air ratchet whenever I can to zip down a faster after hand threaded. Then hand or torque wrench for final snug. Looks like next weekend will the big day for my lift. Just need my CVs and ball joints to survive for 5 more days.....

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be back into mine in a few weeks here. Got to let the springs settle in a bit, and I need to replace a leaking axle seal up front. Marlin says the JBA 4.5 arms are in stock, so I may just order them and throw them in then with the spacers. I think you'll be very happy with how it rides once you get the new springs in.