Chinaman Gulch Colorado - a couple clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I went out camping and wheeling with some friends.

The highlight of the trip was taking on Chinaman Gulch here in Colorado. These two clips show the two toughest challenges, one of which required me to get a tug because my rear control arm bracket got caught on the rock. The video was shot from a GoPro mounted on my ARB bumper.

This third clip shows the FJ getting "a little" tippy, followed by me getting a wheel up in the air on the way down.

Traildamage has Chinaman Gulch rated as a 4 on the low end and a 7 on the high end, but that low end rating is utter crap - there are places where there is no bypass to avoid some serious obstacles. After being on this trail with a nicely modified Wrangler, a "Teraflex" outfitted long Wrangler, and a stock FJ on 33" tires, I would have to say the trail should be a 6 on the low end based on their description of the ratings. In addition, this trail was nearly 7 miles and it practically never got easy. It was a challenge from start to finish, and my Liberty needed the skid plates, rear locker, and Super Skink sliders extensively.

Anyway, I just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking about hitting that trail. If you have armor, skids, and a 2.5+ lift, it's doable, but take a buddy 'cause it's gnarly enough you might need a little help. The locker is definitely recommended too since there were a few areas I might have been even more challenged without it.

Cheers,
Jamie

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on! Nice videos. Makes me miss wheeling trails like those. I like to see KJ's hanging with the "big boys" so to speak.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great videos! My kids liked watching them, also. My daughter was talking to the screen telling you to be careful. :gr_grin: