Chernobyl Coolant Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Ferguson

Reaction score
Purchased high mileage KJ in Nov. for son's first car. Very clean, Renegade, lightbar, leather, all options, for $2 grand. Ran great 5 months, made upgrades to sound system etc. One of my changes was to replace OEM coolant tank because it was so rusty orange you could not see coolant levels. Bought one off ebay $39, fit perfect. One day son calls says check engine light flashing and some steam, so I do road service, check fluids, no issues drive home 30 miles, 5 miles from house steam from hood and the coolant tank is boiling like Chernobyl, violent action in the right side, venting steam like a locomotive!
I get on KJ forum & read about HOAT, water pump impellers, air pockets, and such. I replace thermostat, water pump, fresh HOAT, no improvement. Take to trusted mexhanic and 3 of 6 plugs have antifreeze on them. I have engine swapped with 3.7 with 100,000 less miles for $1,200, drives great, for a day, then the Chernobyl coolant tank erupts, voilent boiling and stream exiting vent hole.
Mechanic comes to house, everthing checks out, he notices cap on coolant tank rocks back forth (ebay tank) and says "there's the problem". Ordered Mopar tank ($91), installed, no Chernobyl episodes since.
Question: Did my zeal to have a clean coolant tank just cost me $1,200?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If 3 of the 6 spark plugs had coolant on them, were the 3 with coolant all on the same side as the coolant tank? Or was this a situation of a blown head gasket?
A pressure test would have found the leak at reservoir.

Jeff Ferguson

Reaction score
Two wet plugs were on left head, one on right. cleaned them off, ran great for about 10 minutes then began to shake and be under-powered. Diagnosing mechanic said he wouldn't work on the engine as it was 15 hours book time and such high mileage. Found local Jeep mechanic that had 3 wrecked Liberty's, motor taken from one of them. Agreed on pressure test, seems like such a delicate system that air can "block" coolant flow. Prior owner had stripped the 8MM allen set screw so we never confirmed air lock. Forgot to mention a new radiator went in along with the engine swap. Thanks!

Jeff Ferguson

Reaction score
New Mopar Tank behaving after several hours use!

Attachments

• 20200721_203657.jpg
    20200721_203657.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 24

Jar

Reaction score
If it was not over heating; you should have changed the radiator cap first. New MOPAR tank would have came with one. I just learned this myself. $8

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surely a mechanic didnt recommend replacing an engine based solely on coolant on spark plugs?

Funny, I just replaced my coolant tank with a new mopar unit so it wouldnt look so stained.... My coolant is now yellow (zerex G05), so Im wondering if it will stain again.

Latest posts

Members online