Check your spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dominator

Reaction score
Hello 1st timer here,

We purchased a 04 rene with about 57000 kilometers on it. I just replaced the spark plugs today very easy to do, the first one on the pass. side was not even hand tight and maybe 2 of them were tight. any one else come across this?

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the factory they are torqued down like mad. Manual recommends replacing @ 30k (I did mine...and boy were they already looking bad). ?It sounds like someone replaced yours and didn't torque them down enough.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed mine today. OTIS went from 18.6 highway to 20.5 highway and it is idling much better now.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ only has a little over 14K on her, but from what I've been reading, changing the spark plugs up to some bosch double platinums would make a decent difference in MPG's. Do you think it would be worth it to change them this soon? I think I can change them on my own, I just changed a set of 4 in my Camry and it was the easiest repair I've ever done on a car, so the KJ can't be that much harder...

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs

I've got the NGK Double Platinums in mine and that's the way it came from the dealer. When I took it in for the 60k service, I asked about changing them and they told me it was a 90,000 mile plug. My mileage is good, so I left them alone.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the NGK Double Platinums in mine and that's the way it came from the dealer. When I took it in for the 60k service, I asked about changing them and they told me it was a 90,000 mile plug. My mileage is good, so I left them alone.

Not a good idea to leave them in there fro 90K miles. Should be changed every 30K.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, platinums should last about 60K or so... but if it were me, with my experience with KJ spark plugs, I'd inspect them every 30K & put on some fresh anti-seize.