Check engine P0240

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I reset the check engine light at Auto Zone then went to get it inspected (NYS) and he said it failed because the code I reset needed time to be rechecked by the computer. I can't find how many cycles it takes to reset and what exactly a cycle would consist of. Thanks!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya you are set in closed loop. Mileage can vary on how many starts & warm up to cool downs are required.
If that code/MIL set/ pops up again, you wont pass & I got a feeling that the P0240 may be a o2 sensor. Ntk/NGK sesors work well with the KJ.
A reader should be able to tell when it's open, after some cycling.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per MA even if system says it's ready you have to drive at least 100miles since a light reset or battery change. May differ in your state but I think its a good idea.

PunkChachi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank all of you for your quick response. I don't think it would be my O2 sensor, replaced all 4 of them in Aug. But thank you for the cycling guide, they sure couldn't make it more difficult could they. Gonna try these tomorrow, I'll let you all know.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I reset the check engine light at Auto Zone then went to get it inspected (NYS) and he said it failed because the code I reset needed time to be rechecked by the computer. I can't find how many cycles it takes to reset and what exactly a cycle would consist of. Thanks!!!
You have IM monitors,the PCM will only run the IM tests if the correct conditions are set,could take a few miles of driving or many days.If there is a issue with 1 of the systems the PCM will not run the IM test and flags it as incomplete which will be a auto fail in a state that does OBDII checks.

Fix the issue 1st then drive for a few days.