check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the other day my check engine light came on. not a plesont site i knew it could not be any thing to bad because it was running fine! the only plase in my town that i could get it scand was the dealer(blarg) so i had to take it in. after wating for an 1hr 30 for them to scan it they came out and told me it was just a computer erorr and it needed to be reprogrammed. they also said it was common on the kjs and it would only show up after a while. this to me sounder like it should of been a recall kind of thing, so it should of been free but insted it put me out $120:mad: this to me sound like a counter type thing that is programed into the pc from the start just like on the old xjs and mjs for the emissions and O2 sensor.
my jeep is an 04 with a tad over 87,000mils on it have any of you ran in to this?
thanks

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reprogram the computer? Charge $120?
They probably just reset it / cleared it, that's all.. You could have gotten obdii reader for $50 and check it yourself, better yet you could always do the ignition key trick to read the code.

The price is reasonable compared to the autozone or strauss or others who charge $99 to check the code, explain the error to you, and give details before they do anything.
Any job they do would get discounted $99.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows... Common on KJs? I think not.. I had pretty much everything that was common on every other KJ, but not this. Whenever I had CEL, it was always due to something minor, thank god.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know i kind of thought it was going to be somthing with the emissions/O2 sensers but as long as it runs true and has full power im happy:D

is there a light that says somthing like Emissions Check:confused:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but the code will tell you.
Turn off your jeep, put it in ON position, then OFF Position.. Then quicky -ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, leave at ON.. It will show the code on your odometer.