Cheapest way to read a live reading of your coolant temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loiiiiiiioj

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Jeep Liberty (UK) 3.7 2006.

I'm interested in finding out the coolant temp readings.

Some cars you can scroll through the dash and it will tell you but i wasn't sure if there is a way to plug in a scanner or laptop to find the readings.

I have a OBII to USB cable and a cheap program i got on ebay for my Vauxhall (GM) Corsa, so not sure if i can buy a disc to read it anywhere cheaply on my laptop or a scanner available in the UK to do the same?

Thanks

Kev

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer a small dedicated OBD2 reader /scanner/ clear codes with it's own display.
That way at a glance you can view the actual reporting coolant temps as they change.
A scan gauge II is best but not cheap. My Autel I found for under $100 and was loaded with features, however is not avail anymore.
I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I run Scan Gauge's in all of mine
work well
tell me everything I need to know
( including water ( coolant ) temp )

ScanGaugeII can help you monitor your vehicle’s most vital systems and provide the kind of real-time information you’ve been missing. Features include more than 15 built-in digital gauges, 5 sets of trip data and an easy-to-use ScanTool that shows both set and pending trouble codes — All in an ultra compact design that installs in minutes.

added , my original Scan Gauge in the 04 is over 15 years old and still works just fine

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also vote for the Scangauge II. I’ve been running mine for over 10 years. Also, you can program it to do specialized vehicle specific stuff, like have it read transmission temperature.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ow wow! (Clicks “purchase”). Had no clue something like this existed. Here I was planning to install some extra gauges.

Thanks all!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ow wow! (Clicks “purchase”). Had no clue something like this existed. Here I was planning to install some extra gauges.

Thanks all!
If you are clicking on the scan gauge then you will love it, can even change light color , easy to swap to different items
Few years ago I went ahead and ordered an extra one so that when the one I've had for your quit, I would have a spare, but its still boxed up waiting LOL

loiiiiiiioj

Reaction score
Thanks. I've bought a cheaper model Autel
I prefer a small dedicated OBD2 reader /scanner/ clear codes with it's own display.
That way at a glance you can view the actual reporting coolant temps as they change.
A scan gauge II is best but not cheap. My Autel I found for under $100 and was loaded with features, however is not avail anymore.
I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.
Thanks. I've found a cheap Autel with live readings.

I presume having these plugged in permanently cant upset the PCM over time or anything etc. - just checking as I know people plug in to fault codes, but it's all new to me having it for running constant live data through.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I presume having these plugged in permanently cant upset the PCM over time or anything etc. - just checking as I know people plug in to fault codes, but it's all new to me having it for running constant live data through.

Thanks
I have been running a scan gauge since 2005 full time/all the time / no issues

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks.
What cheaper Autel (model number) did you buy, that has the live readings?
I've also had no issues with with mine left on while driving.

Motocomiot

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Jeep Liberty (UK) 3.7 2006.

I'm interested in finding out the coolant temp readings.

Some cars you can scroll through the dash and it will tell you but i wasn't sure if there is a way to plug in a scanner or laptop to find the readings.

I have a OBII to USB cable and a cheap program i got on ebay for my Vauxhall (GM) Corsa, so not sure if i can buy a disc to read it anywhere cheaply on my laptop or a scanner available in the UK to do the same?

Thanks

Kev
Hi I bought a Bluedriver OBDII scanner when I discovered the 06 doesnt let you get codes via the ignition key trick - it plugs in under the dash & connects via bluetooth to your mobile phone. Any function that is supported can be displayed as live data via a gauge picture (or line graph etc) on the phone handset. It cost about £95 but its paid for itself - the dodgy ABS sensor for instance - the ABS light comes on but it doesnt tell you which one of four it is so that was easy. Ive also diagnosed a lambda sensor correctly so IMO it was worth it. I got it from Amazon - it is optimised for American vehicles also …

Motocomiot

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Im in the UK - Gloucestershire - My Jeep is also an 06 3.7 Liberty (Cherokee here !)
If youre not far away youre welcome to have a go on mine too

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BlueDriver = overpriced Torque/Torque Pro

Latest posts

Members online