Changing Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep Lady

Reaction score
Hi,

I own a Jeep Cherokee KJ 2003 2.8 CRD Limited, which I love, and would like to replace my existing factory fitted radio with a sat nav version.

Does anyone know of a UK version that will fit my car please.

If so, what modifications, if any, would I need to make to my existing setup.

Thank you in advance.

Pgy

Reaction score
I would like to know the same! I'm new here, i own a 2003 Jeep Cherokee Renegade, 2.8 CRD. Would love to change the old radio/cd player with something new, at least to be able to play mp3s from my phone and have a display. I don't need the CD unit. Hopefully someone can help with a standard version ( im in Germany so the UK version doesn't work i think..)

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking your post :)

Maxdestruction04

Reaction score
Unfortunately there are really no direct replacement radio/nav system. Im looking at doing this very upgrade myself soon and unfortunately its going to take a little work with a dremel tool or something like that to make it work and look nice. You need to look for a double din radio/nav you like with front face dimensions as close as you can get to 212mm wide and 80mm high. Now the part with the dremmel comes in on trim around radio face, the trim has very rounded edges to fit stock radio but the new one will be very square. You wont find one that fits the rounded corners of the trim so you will have to remove some of the plastic from corners and square them off for the new one to fit. It can be difficult to do this and have it look nice afterwards if you have never attempted something like this before. But after its trimmed there are many double din radio/nav will be able to be installed very easily. I will also add that you are not limited to those radio/nav face dimensions it just depeds on how much you want to cut I guess. If you are not in a big hurry and it would help I will post a thread with some pics when I do mine, but that wont be for a couple months I think as Im in the middle of an engine swap at moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pgy

Maxdestruction04

Reaction score
Found this if you dont feel comfortable doing mods yourself. Couldnt figure out how to post actual link but im sure u can figure it out from there. In fact I might just pick one of these up myself to make my life easier and tell you how it fits in a week or so.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-232054.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-232054.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed a Double DIN KENWOOD DMX-8020DABS with wireless android auto & apple carplay, and 2 camera's (can take up to four), and I am very happy with it. Please check whether or not you have the Infinity upgraded Audio. If you do, you have amps on the doors and therefore the audio adaptor needs to be connected to the output for amps (coaxial cables, the one listed in the attachment above). Otherwise, you will need the adaptor which connects to the loudspeaker outputs of the radio.
In order to have functionality on the steering wheel I bought AXXESS ASWC-1 and it worked fine! Mine is a Export 2004 Cherokee Limited 3.7L. Connects2 adaptor is only for CAN-BUS Cherokee/Liberty, so be aware... I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Jeep Lady

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I found this on Amazon UK.

My son who is doing the work has also advised me to get the following:

All I need now is a radio which my son is sorting out for me. Looking at a "Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB 6.8" Touch Screen DAB Bluetooth Car Play Android Auto inc. Rear View Camera".

Will post a picture when it is all done which will probably be towards the end of May/early June.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All European Radio's use ISO Connectors.
From your first link, you will need the double DIN facia and the antenna adapter. The Audio adapter cable can be used if you can solder and it is the METRA 70-6502
I do not know whether the rest will work for sure, as I have not used them, but they seem to be correct if they support J1850 VPW communication format.
These cables are for the standard Audio system.
Since I have the Upgraded Infinity Audio System (JEEP CHEROKEE 3.7L Limited 2004), I used the METRA 70-6503. So, you have to check first...
Also check this video, it is very helpfull Head Unit Upgrade and Install - 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited w/ Factory Infinity Sound System

Pgy

Reaction score
Found this if you dont feel comfortable doing mods yourself. Couldnt figure out how to post actual link but im sure u can figure it out from there. In fact I might just pick one of these up myself to make my life easier and tell you how it fits in a week or so.:)
Thanks a lot! I will look into finding something that doesn't require too much modifying. I wouldn't do it myself since i'm very OCD about the car's looks and if there's any mistakes it will bother me forever ;)

Pgy

Reaction score
All European Radio's use ISO Connectors.
From your first link, you will need the double DIN facia and the antenna adapter. The Audio adapter cable can be used if you can solder and it is the METRA 70-6502
I do not know whether the rest will work for sure, as I have not used them, but they seem to be correct if they support J1850 VPW communication format.
These cables are for the standard Audio system.
Since I have the Upgraded Infinity Audio System (JEEP CHEROKEE 3.7L Limited 2004), I used the METRA 70-6503. So, you have to check first...
Also check this video, it is very helpfull Head Unit Upgrade and Install - 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited w/ Factory Infinity Sound System
Thank you i appreciate the help! Hopefully i manage to get it changed before summer hits :)

Rogre

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at www.crutchfield.com? I picked up a really nice touchscreen am/fm/bluetooth radio for my 2006 Liberty, they offered a wiring adaptor as well as a replacement interior cover, as the new system is a double din sized, and the original one wasn't.
See pic.
The entire process of changing the radio portion took less than an hour.
I don't know if they offer European kits though. It may be worth it to take a look.
Roger

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 10

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield has a terrific website that will allow you to select the right head unit and required extra trim piece and wiring harnesses to make your installation seamless. Changed our head unit, speakers, added a subwoofer, and got everything from them in short order.

Reactions: Pgy

Jeep Lady

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have got everything I need but just wanted your opinion, please, on where is the best place to install the rear view camera.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a spare tyre backup camera adaptor from ebay. I ended up using a Kenwood backup camera on the spare tyre adaptor and I am very happy with it.

Jeep Lady

Reaction score
Just an update -----
After 10 hours of replacing speakers, installing a rear view camera and replacing both the fascia and radio, most of the work is almost done. Just have connect the rear view camera to the reverse switch but it was dark and my son had had enough :) Can still use the head unit for now to reverse - just have to select the feature.
I cannot believe how bad my speakers and radio sounded - the difference new speakers and head unit make is phenomenal.

Latest posts

Members online