Changing Fluids after some offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fango925

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Did some fun offroading this weekend, went through a good amount of water, most puddles beneath the halfway mark on my wheel, maybe one or two around or slightly above halfway. I have 31"s so looking at maybe 15-16" of water maxed out. Do I need to change my fluids? I know it's better to be safe than sorry but I'm in school right now and I don't have a working garage within the area, I'd have to drive 160 miles to get to it. I dipped my finger into the rear diff to check and it didn't seem milky or thin, although I know that water is heavier than that oil so I tried to get as far in to be sure. I also checked my transmission to make sure.
I'm just a poor college student so arranging to use the tools would be difficult, and $50 of 75W90 is a lot to spend right now.

Honestly just looking for some peace of mind or a definitive "Yes, you need to change the fluid before driving."

Thanks for the help guys!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You're probably fine if your breathers are there. Water to the wheel hubs isn't much. Plus the diff and the trans wouldn't even get submerged in that much water. Even if some water got in, it'll evaporate if it's not a lot.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At only that much you should be good, BEFORE you go again, check all of the breathers and make sure they are there, they are up as high as possible
When you start getting deeper is when you want to start checking real close
You must be registered for see images attach

Fango925

Reaction score
Yeah my rear breather was above my gas tank and my front should be around the battery in the factory spot. See, this is why I keep coming back to you guys time and time again to ask questions. Straight, concise, true answers that help me out a ton. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.