Changes to A/C, heater control unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As many know, the Liberty has a new A/C - heater control panel for '05.
I think it's a great improvement; there is a separate A/C switch that enables you to use -- or not use -- air for any vent combination. Additionally, the selector knob is simplified and presented in a more logical fashon, since duplicate settings are no longer necessary. Otherwise, it looks pretty much like the older control units, with no change to the fan or temp. knobs.

This addresses one of my pet peeves -- having to cycle through the air conditioner everytiime I want heat and mandating A/C for the upper registers.

So I bought one (part # 55037533AG) for my '04. It was a direct swap and everything works as advertised! It's an easy procedure, but there is a "how-to" on it for reference.

Bennett heard that it may not work on the '02 or '03 models, but the site I purchased from advertised '02 to '05. I think he's looking into it. If you're interested, better check with the dealer first to make sure! Cost is about $46 from dealer.

By the way, this is definitely not a toy. Like all other such imnprovements, this is a "transportation enhancement upgrade". My wife understands what this means. If you're not married, it doesn't matter. \:D/

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the pannel from Chaz0_man0 (thanks =D> ) and installed it in my '04 this weekend. Works wonderful, can't believe they didnt do it this way from the start #-o

sp33doe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any pics before and after installation

im planning to swap my 03 sport

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sp33doe said:
any pics before and after installation

im planning to swap my 03 sport

Just a heads up-- you'd end up being the guinea pig for this one.. no one (that I'm aware of) has done this successfully on a 02-03, only 04. The BCM changed in 04. Not to say it can't be done, just that you'd be blazing new territory.

In any case, post whatever you find out to let the rest of us know how it went.

-Blu

chaz0_man0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah I tried to put the one I sold to SRotblat on my 03.. Everything worked except the AC... I just plugged it in, I didn't mess with it. I didn't know enough about it to make it work... :-k

FreedomKJ

Reaction score
Could someone take a picture (the bigger the better) of the back of the '05 HVAC controls.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for comparison, the '04 one I took out in place of that '05 Chez sold me had that black plug closer to center and cocked at an angle above the vacume line hook up. I can try to take a pic of the back for comparison too...

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That picture is from an 04. You can see the date. I just compared it to the one I picked up from Jeep yesterday. The vacum control housing is shaped slightly different as well. (there aren't any groove, the 05 is smooth.)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. The extra piece to the vacum connector is attached in the photos. Guess I'll see that tomorrow when I install it.

FreedomKJ

Reaction score
I really want to make this work on my '03. I guess I'll just have to get one and do some experimenting.

-Jeremy

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own an '04 Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition and definately hated the heater/ac control because you have 10 selections to fiddle with, meaning you have your eyes off the road, potentially dangerous. I replaced mine with the new '05 and it worked perfectly. It's pretty simple as there is only one screw near the cigarette lighter outlet and then you just pull out the console. I recommend you put your jeep in neutral with the parking brake to give yourself some more room to maneuver (the shifter in park makes working on it much more difficult). The most time consuming part for me was trying to unhook the 3 connectors on the unit (I didn't want to break anything like I did changing my air filter on my sebring convertible). Other than that installation is a snap. If you purchase one, may I suggest the following website, as my part cost me about 35 dollars shipping included: http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/
it came within a week from when I ordered it. Next step for me is to install a 6 disc in dash factory I purchased on ebay.

CoasterG

Reaction score
Tried to use the part # that was in the first post in the thread at chryslerpartsdirect.com and it couldn't find the part.

Love to order one so I can do a replacement since I hate the current setup also.

I saw a similar part under their HVAC listing but I wanted to make sure it was the right one - its a control panel and ends up being $26 and change before shipping.

George