CB Radios Obsolete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I started regular trips into the wilderness with my Jeep, I've been considering buying a CB radio. I am aware these need some special equipment as well as peaking and tuning once they're installed, so I decided to seek some outside help.

I just spent a frustrating hour driving all over town trying to find a place to advise/sell/work on a CB for my Jeep to zero avail. Apparently nobody buys CB radios any more which is weird, because I see Jeeps all over the place out here with firestik CB antennas. One guy even told me peaking and tuning isn't necessary since they "only" sell prefab lengths of coax with CBs nowadays. But his shop doesn't sell CB radios. Most of the people I talked to said something like "I haven't heard of a CB radio in years." :disgust:

So where does everybody go for their CB radios? I'd like to get a CB for my Jeep, but I don't want to spend tons of money on gear that I only need for tuning it once.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, CB shop across the street from the Road Ranger truck stop on I-70 near here.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like riden stated or even online
several places to buy.
I know of 5 or 6 within 25 miles of where I live that sell, install if needed etc
yes you still have to tune the radio / antenna for maximum results and so you don't blow the finals
"Good" CB shops even have used ones that you can get for 25-30% off or more that have been gone through, repaired and peaked and tuned

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was really just expression frustration that so few people seem to be familiar with CB radios. The odd thing is there are no truck stops around here- the nearest one is about 40 miles away. I figured with all the Jeeps in town somebody would have a CB shop locally.

I've found pretty much everything I need on Amazon, so all I'd need to do is order, install, and make a trip somewhere for tuning the radio. How much do shops usually charge to peak and tune a radio if it's already installed in a vehicle?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Have a look at Walmart online. You'd be surprised at what they sell for CB radios.
Walmart Mobile
Better off buying a Ham radio. Way better coverage than a CB.
You can buy a desent dual frequency HT for $65.00 and add in a mobile rig for your Jeep.

I just ordered a pair of these:
Baofeng UV-5R
This looks like it might be a really good radio:
Chinese Dual Band Mobile Radio
Let's face it, 90% of The electronics are made in China or Japan.
I'll be buying a Yaesu radio for our Rig I think an FT-8900 or the FTM350AR.
Already have a CB radio.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you need a license for a HAM radio?

I set up my scanner out last night, and heard HAM operators chatting from somewhere in Colorado over a local repeater. It sounded like a talk show- 3 or 4 guys chatting about tuning their radios.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I use motorola FSM handhelds. They work great for camping and wheeling.

I think I'll probably just end up going handheld CB since the power out is so limited. I might eventually get a simple HAM setup for the house though since licensing seems pretty easy. (although I can already monitor those freqs with my scanner.)

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just ordered a Cobra 75 install kit from Right Channel. It comes with the SWR meter, so I'm hopeful I have everything I need to make a nice clean install on my Jeep. I spent a little more than originally planned, but between this and the GMRS/FRS radios I already own, I should be able to talk to all y'all on the trails :)

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CB Radio- INSTALLED. Just fine-tuning things from here, but it works!

Eventually, I'd like a nice 2 meter VHF radio- taking my HAM license exam next week! :D

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Jen and I are heading South at the end of the month to buy a nice VHF/UHF Rig for our Jeep.
We will both be getting our amature radio licence in November or December.

Ry, get your selves a license with low band HF privileges. US would be General or higher - not sure what Canada calls theirs. We talk to VE7s all the time with 100 watts on 75 meters. Or come on up to the Yukon (VY1). The gang in Whitehorse has a linked setup on VHF up and down the highway.

Bottom line, hams do it with more frequency!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using a Midland 75-822 portable. Ok for trail rides and no external antenna to knock off. I do have an external antenna with a magnet mount if I want to use it on the highway when caravaning but not necessary. Range is limited to a couple of miles but I can put it in my pocket if I want. (got it from right channel radio)

HAM is best though.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Ry, get your selves a license with low band HF privileges. US would be General or higher - not sure what Canada calls theirs. We talk to VE7s all the time with 100 watts on 75 meters. Or come on up to the Yukon (VY1). The gang in Whitehorse has a linked setup on VHF up and down the highway.

Bottom line, hams do it with more frequency!

Ya, Jen and I are looking at a Yaesu FT-857D
HF/VHF/UHF Rig.
But you probably already knew that!

I am using a Midland 75-822 portable. Ok for trail rides and no external antenna to knock off. I do have an external antenna with a magnet mount if I want to use it on the highway when caravaning but not necessary. Range is limited to a couple of miles but I can put it in my pocket if I want. (got it from right channel radio)

HAM is best though.

Dave

That 75-822 is a nice little radio for a cb Dave.
You can mod that thing to increase the channels from 40
to over 200+
I like the weather channel feature on it.