CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking into buying a CB radio on ebay. what exactly do i need in addition to the radio and mic? also are they a pain to install or is it pretty simple?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally depends on how you want to install. You'll need the CB/Mike, antenna, and wire to the antenna. Depending on the antenna, you can do a temporary type of deal with a magnetic mount (what I am using for now - antenna/wire are one unit) and run it out a door jamb or window when you want to use it. If you want to permanently mount it, you'll need some type of mounting apparatus and to ground that if it's not attached to metal. Some people put them on the side of the hood, some modify the stock radio antenna mount to put an antenna there, some put them on the back or on the roof rack or on the spare tire carrier. Numerous possibilities.

I suggest looking at the "How-to" section for some examples. There is a CB thread in there somewhere. Also go over to L.O.S.T. KJ's forms and look there. Lots of different ways. Difficulty level depends on the typoe of install. For mine, I stuffed the mini-CB between the passenger seat and center console, I put a cigarette lighter plug on the end of it to power it, and I ran the wire/magnetic mount antenna out the back door and onto the roof. Installation time? 5 mins ;)

Look up some different installation locations, and then you can ask what specifically you'd need to buy and do to install.

Cliff's notes: Mandatory would be:
CB Radio/Mike
Antenna
Cable to reach antenna
Any extras depending on your method of installation.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that really mandatory? Back in the day, my old man used one all the time on family vacations, he didn't tune anything. I used my current el-cheapo radioshack a couple of times, I never used one.

We both were using magnetic mount antennas. I am sure we weren't using them to their full potential, but on a trail ride where everyone's in a caravan or a couple of groups I don't see a huge range as being necessary.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that really mandatory? Back in the day, my old man used one all the time on family vacations, he didn't tune anything. I used my current el-cheapo radioshack a couple of times, I never used one.

We both were using magnetic mount antennas. I am sure we weren't using them to their full potential, but on a trail ride where everyone's in a caravan or a couple of groups I don't see a huge range as being necessary.
Yes it helps with the range but also helps keep the radio alive.An improperly tuned CB antenna can fry your CB after time.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it helps with the range but also helps keep the radio alive.An improperly tuned CB antenna can fry your CB after time.
x2. You can be running a high SWR and the radio will do OK, but it will be slowly degrading the transmit circuit to the point where it won't work anymore. Depending on how high your SWR is this could take anywhere from two minutes to two months, but it will happen. Just be sure to have your antenna mounted where it will be when used for best results.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that can't happen, but my dad has 3 cb's dating back from the mid 70's all the way up to the late 80's and they all work perfectly fine. I'd say if you're using it daily nonstop, sure. Other than that, I see no point in it, especially for someone like me with a cheap radio shack unit I got used off ebay.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO dont waste your time or money on a fancy CB or antenna
and a swr meter will halp if you want to talk to guys who are miles away but for the most part not needed

I run a cobra DX19III with a $10 truck stop antenna ,broke the $25 wilson
and I can talk to guys any where in most of the local parks as long as 1 of us is on top of the moutain ,no CB can talk through a moutain

The key to a good working CB is good grounds and power direct from the Batt. so that the only way to turn it off is at the CB swich
also you can not coil up the extra antenna cable it must be bunched to its self
My cheepo $75 if that total package works just as good if not better than some $200+ setups
best part of all is that if it breaks I dont loose much

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

I have an Uniden CB radio from the mid 1970's. It came out of an old Jeep police car! Later it was used in a police boat. It has seen many vehicles since. For while it was also used in my '76 Mini. The antenna, a 24 inch magnetic mount was never tuned by me yet it worked extremely well on the open road. I now have a Sparkomatic RA-400 with a 48 inch magnetic mount antenna and works awesome! Again, I have never tuned the antenna as the owners manual doesn't mention anything about tunning antenna's
I have recently removed it from my Mini (and subsequently I will re-install the antique Uniden as it is period correct for the Mini!) and am going to install Sparkomatic in our KJ. (The Chassis Dimensions: 5-1/8" (130mm) W x 1-1/4" (32mm) H x 7-1/4" (185mm) D.
I figure it would look good mounted to the head liner up by the dome lights.
I'll run both a power (with a noise filter) and ground wire (both fused) directly to the battery so that I get clean power.
I will continue to use a magnetic mount antenna. That way I can remove it from the Jeep when not needed.

I am also concidering a VHF/UHF radio in the future. At that point I will ditch the antenna's that I have and will use a 6 foot whip.

Cheers

Ryan

Last edited:

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i got one and temporarily mounted it so i cant open the rear wothout having to remove the antena. any betterplaces to mount the antena? im thinking drill the rear bumper but the instructions say mount to metal?

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Install

For Xmas i Got this Radio Shack CB and this is how i installed it.

first the antenna
You must be registered for see images attach

then the antenna wire into the cabin

then i installed the power wire with a mini fuse adapter

then i ran the wires under the plastic peices following them to the floor next to the driver seat

and connected all wires to the CB under the seat (it is way to big to fit anywhere else)

all finished!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Xmas i Got this Radio Shack CB and this is how i installed it.

You might want to find a better route for the coax into the cab. Too much opening and closing the door will probably cause an open in the conductors after a while with it this way. Not saying you have to, but if you start having problems transmitting down the road this would be the first place I would look for a fault.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert... you might want to reconsider another couple of points in your installation along with what Kevin mentioned about the routing of the cable.

- Your antenna is way too tall and mounted in front like that is begging to have it broken off on the trail. Get a shorter antenna and mount it on the back of your Jeep with only a couple of feet sticking over the roof.

- Mounting the CB under the seat makes it hard, if not impossible, to reach the controls while driving. Depending on conditions, a CB needs to have the squelch and volume adjusted frequently. Suggest you mount it on the passenger side of the center console.

- Get a small external speaker and mount it on the dash. The speaker is on the bottom of the CB and will be up against anywhere you mount it and hard to hear.

Just my opinions, go with what you think works for you....

AJ

You must be registered for see images

A short 4 ft antenna mounted like on the back of my TJ is all you need to get out on the trail.

Last edited:

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. i am still looking for the perfect way to mount it on the rear of the vehicle, it has to be metal and i dont want to cut anything so i can remove it if i ever choose to sell the vehicle, and i dont want to have to remove it every time i need to get into the rear of the jeep. any ideas would be appreciated

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as for the radio itself i think i can fit mine in the center arm rest compartment with a little work.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert... You could use a short magnetic mount on your roof, mount it where the stock radio antenna is or on the back end on the tire or on the door. I did a quick Google and came up with this thread over on LOST. There are a few pics of different ways to mount the antenna on the rear.

I don't lnow what your plans are for your radio... strictly trail use or everyday, but I would not even think about leaving a CB mounted in a vehicle 24/7, it's just an invitation for some low life to break in.

If you have your heart set on a CB rig, I'd go with a temporary roof mount, a bracket on the door or the tire. There's a CB shop over on Stapley and Main in Mesa that could help you out with ideas and hardware too.

Me, I'd just stick with the no fuss. no muss hand help FRS radios for the KJ. The only reason I have a CB in my TJ is, it was easy to mount and the radio itself is a left over from my cross-country trucking days and FRS radios were still kinda new and not all that good when I bought the TJ.

Good luck with your install, I'll be checking it out next weekend in Cottonwood.... ;)

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. i am still looking for the perfect way to mount it on the rear of the vehicle, it has to be metal and i dont want to cut anything so i can remove it if i ever choose to sell the vehicle, and i dont want to have to remove it every time i need to get into the rear of the jeep. any ideas would be appreciated
No need to go to the back of the vehicle, where you have it right now is fine. Just get a shorter antenna, maybe a 3 footer if need be and put a spring under it. Heck I've got a little 2' antenna on mine and I get out just fine - it all depends on how the whole system is set up.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to go to the back of the vehicle, where you have it right now is fine. Just get a shorter antenna, maybe a 3 footer if need be and put a spring under it. Heck I've got a little 2' antenna on mine and I get out just fine - it all depends on how the whole system is set up.
You are wrong... antenna placement is a big part of the equation for getting the most from a CB radio.

The length of the coaxial cable, proper SWR tuning AND the location of the antenna all matter for optimal performance of a CB radio which only puts out 4 watts of power.

Mounting an antanna on or near the front of a vehicle are the two worst places to mount it. One is that the front is most vulnerable for damage/breakage and two, the vehicle body acts as a "radial" plane for the RF signals. In other words, mounting the radio in center front of the vehicle is directing the majority of the signal strength directly behind you. Mounting in the center is optimal, but in most cases, not practical. The right rear is the second best location as the signals will be directed ahead and to the left corner of the vehicle.

Here is a short article that explains it better.

Will a CB work with am improperly placed antenna, yes, but mounting and tuning it properly will enable you to get the best possible signal from a little 4 watt radio. If you're going to go through the expense of buying and and the hassle of intalling one, why not do it right instead of half a$$, or just use the much cheaper FRS radios for trail rides?

Robert... one other suggestion for you. The cockpit in the Liberty is not all that roomy and mounting a radio to the side of the center console takes up some room. If you still want to mount your unit out of the way and under the seat, take yours back to Radio Shack and exchange it for a Cobra 75 WX ST Compact/Remote unit. The base will fit under the seat and all the controls are in the mic. They sell for around $125.00 and are a good radio.

Just my opinions, take it for what you will....

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are wrong... antenna placement is a big part of the equation for getting the most from a CB radio.
AJ, for the type of use this radio will see (short range on the trail) antenna placement is not as critical as it would be if he was looking to get longer range out of it. As long as he has a good antenna properly grounded and with the SWR tuned correctly the radio will work just fine. I understand what you're getting at, and yes ideally the perfect place to mount would be dead center of the roof (best ground plane all around), but in this instance it isn't necessary. But in the end it's his decision where he wants to put it.

OK guys, I'm off my soapbox.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin... I didn't know we were on soapboxes, but if we were, I'm off mine too. :D

Latest posts

Members online