CB radio and antenna question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently realized I want a CB radio while on the trails and I found my little handheld 2 way radio dead. I know I should tune the antenna so channel 1 and 40 are both below 2.0, but is it worth buying the tuning device or do some inexpensive CB radios have that feature?

I plan on making a mount on my spare tire carrier for the antenna because I shudder at the thought of drilling into my baby and a firestick seems to be well regarded (thinking a 3 or 4 foot so plenty sticks up above the roof yet isn't too tall to hit every tree). I would run an extra wire for a ground if my multimeter shows any measurable resistance using the tire carrier as a ground.

I searched the forum and went through all of the electrical sub forum and the links were outdated and I know some companies quality control goes up and down, so what is a decent CB radio that is not too expensive and performs well without being too big?

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Ya how do you make the cb mount for the spare. i want to run my cb but dont want to drill in her either

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently realized I want a CB radio while on the trails and I found my little handheld 2 way radio dead. I know I should tune the antenna so channel 1 and 40 are both below 2.0, but is it worth buying the tuning device or do some inexpensive CB radios have that feature?
Yes it is worthwhile to get the tuner, depending on where you can buy one you'll pay anywhere from around $15 on up. No low-end CB that I know of will have one onboard, even some of the high-end radios do not have an SWR meter built-in. And as far as the antenna goes, 'A Jeep's not yours until you drill the first hole in it' as I'm sure Tom would agree.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to drill get a magnetic mount, slap it on the roof and good to go!

And yes drill away, they only scream during the first hole, after that they like it! I even drilled my door handles cause it felt so good to her!:cool::cool::cool:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could go my setup (that I got from Gris, who I think got from TokyoJoe)

Firestick 3'
HD spring
Firestik AR-1A splitter
Midland handheld CB

I like the midland because it can be totally handheld (running off AA's), but it also has an adapter to run it off 12V and to hook to a dedicated in-vehicle antenna.

The antenna/spring threads are a 3/8-24. The OEM radio antenna mount is 5/16-18. So, instead of drilling out the KJ mount, which I thought would weaken it too much, I turned down the spring and rethreaded it. I don't have a lathe or anything - the spring is brass, so I just used my bench grinder and a set of Harbor Freight calipers to get it near the correct major diameter.

The AR-1A splits the signal from the antenna so the radio and CB can both use it.

I then just ran coax into the center console, and I added a 2-port 12V recipticle in the console.

I like it because the CB is small and portable (I have a magnetic antenna too, so I can put it in another vehicle if needed) and all I have to do to hook it up is plug in the power and connect the coax. The wiring comes out of the center console so it's not dangling all over the cabin.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't want to drill get a magnetic mount, slap it on the roof and good to go!

And yes drill away, they only scream during the first hole, after that they like it! I even drilled my door handles cause it felt so good to her!:cool::cool::cool:

well mine aint paid for yet so i aint drilling it here until the pay the last bill....:p

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first had my jeep... many moons ago, i took a piece of 1x1 or maybe 1x2 steel with holes in it and it bolted up perfectly to the spare. no drilling at all.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, guys. We're going back to hollister hills tomorrow and I will be watching to see how much clearance I have with trees on the trails because I like the idea of the magnetic mount which requires zero fabrication, but the look of an antenna, even one mounted on a tab on the spare bracket like rip said would look cooler.
I really do like the cleanliness of Kevins setup, though. Even if it is more work and a little higher cost.

When I get it all figured out (clearance with trees, what my cheap **** decides how much it wants to spend, what good CB I can find for a good price, etc..) I'll update this post.

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stuck my CB between the passenger seat and console and put the Magnetic Antenna on the roof and works great , if I knock it over on the trail just set it upright and go .

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was paying attention while on the trails and I would have to mount an antenna so it sticks up very little from the roof because of trees. The trees are everywhere out there so putting a magnetic mount on the roof is unrealistic as I would be having to reattach it every five minutes.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in on the tailgate when wheeling. Thats what I do. Saves the hassle of getting out and replacing it all the time. Does interfere with reception either.

hmm, I should be fine with something 2-3 feet behind me. I didn't think the magnets would be strong enough for horizontal mounting.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd say this - I think although it works OK, it has to interfere with reception. As long as you get sufficient reception for your needs, though, sounds like a good quick solution!

Good idea Budke, never thought of that. I took my 3' magnetic mount off roading once and had it on the roof. I couldn't go more than 20' without it getting knocked over by tree limbs. Finally got mad and just threw it in the KJ and gave up on the radio for that trip. Decided to do the Firestik permanent install after that.

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was paying attention while on the trails and I would have to mount an antenna so it sticks up very little from the roof because of trees. The trees are everywhere out there so putting a magnetic mount on the roof is unrealistic as I would be having to reattach it every five minutes.

Move it to the hood for wheeling with a peace of felt cloth under it , then back to the roof when on the road . , my ant is right behind my factory roof light bar so it very seldom gets knocked over . it only stands 14 " tall , so it is protected behind the light bar.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: