Cause for Concern? - All Dash lights Illuminating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanDiesel

Reaction score
Hi Guys a big hello from one of your overseas cousins.

Strange thing happened today:

Driving up a slip-road to join the motorway getting up to speed as i joined the carriageway. The Dashlights illuminated, in fact every single one of them for about 5-10 seconds. It finished with seat belt warning light illuminated, although the seatbelts where firmly clipped in..the engine didnt cut out . The only thing that i was doing on the approach... prior to this, was resetting my EVIC time and mileage.

Ok, it was over fairly quickly, but as you can imagine, im concentrating joining fast moving traffic and this happens, my 1st thought was to pull straight into the hard shoulder (layby) worrying that something major was happening.

Btw its is a late 2002 2.5 CRD limited (currently on 97k miles) this one has discs at the rear not drums and i have been told it has had all of its recalls done, in fact i took it in for the last one being the ball-joints.

The car hasnt given me any worries up until now, thanks to the info from you guys, Ive managed to keep on top of most of the most common issues.

any thoughts advice appreciated..:eek:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iv'e had the same thing happen twice, a while ago now ,shortly after the incidents a couple of weeks or so my battery went dud .After fitting a new battery the problem has never reoccured. Whether the two are connected i cant say for sure!

VanDiesel

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy thanks for moving this for me..

My initial instinct was to pull over, as usually all lights on would suggest engine cut out..This with the thought of a large artic looming up in my rear view mirror.

I do approx, 100 miles round trip to work and back everyday and it hasn't caused me a problem.

Starts fine in the morning even with the low temps, except this happened mid afternoon and had only been sat for a couple of hours.

Funny you mentioning the battery, i recall some where on one of the forums about the battery causing issues when on its way out.

will keep an eye on it for now

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dash lights flicker brightly then dim adain every so often...

Pablo

Reaction score
my dash lights flicker brightly then dim adain every so often...

Ditto with me. But they are just the night instrument lights, not all the idiot lights. They do this when the lights are on and the instrument lights are set fairly dim. I notice that it goes away if I turn the dimmer setting up more. I just chalked it up to cheap resistors or a cheap switch and turned the dash lights to a higher setting.

Never seen the whole cluster do that while the engine is running though... is the battery cable loose?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto with me. But they are just the night instrument lights, not all the idiot lights. They do this when the lights are on and the instrument lights are set fairly dim. I notice that it goes away if I turn the dimmer setting up more. I just chalked it up to cheap resistors or a cheap switch and turned the dash lights to a higher setting.

Never seen the whole cluster do that while the engine is running though... is the battery cable loose?

ditto on the ditto, you nailed it, thats exactly my issue too, srry im not helping w the orig problem i know nothing.. =(

VanDiesel

Reaction score
I think JimmyJeep hit the proverbial nail on the head:

Winter temps fluctuating between, 4 c and -5 past few days, car has been stood still for a couple of days, Jeep would not crank over the other morning not even slow turn over.

Had to get out the booster cables out, jumped it and it fired up straight away. Not had a problem since. [could swear since doing that, the jeep feels a lot smoother..although that could have been due to ice to on the road though] :rolleyes:

Think i may be about to invest in a new battery very shortly.

Any recommendations, I think i have the original battery on there the one with the red top.

cheers folks

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the yellow top optima batteries give more cranking power and the red tops have less cranking power but give power for longer if you have loads of accessories fitted.I think that's correct someone will know for deffo.But they are really expensive ,well they are over here £160.00 double that figure for dollars.Ahhhh rip off UK.

VanDiesel

Reaction score
Solar panel trickle charger

Jimmy your not kiddin, found a site for the optimas they are a horrendous price.

Optima batteries

Check this out - Optima promotional video
Right its the blue top for me then

Ive decided to keep one of these in the car in the meantime while i shop around.
Hope it dont mess up any electrics.

solar powered trickle charger

Right back to hunting for replacement :)

Last edited: