Catalytic converter rattling.....going bad.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually that is false,those aftermarket cats do not perform the same as OE.

OEM cat's are up to 95% efficient,high end "direct fit" cat's are only about 60% efficient,and those cheap $100 universal cat's are about 30% efficient.

Those higher end aftermarket cat's will barely get a vehicle to pass emissions. Remember the check engine light does not turn for emission reasons till the vehicle passes the 1.5 times the allowable particulates.

I should have been more clear with my statement. What I was trying to convey was:

A MagnaFlow cat purchased in Nevada, Florida, Texas (where ever) performs the same as a MagnaFlow cat purchased in California.....the only difference is the CARB stamp on the cat and the tax $$$ in California.

I know OEM is the best way to go. But $$$ is not permitting at this time.

As for the percentages of efficiency......I don't know. I do know that last year I purchased a 'direct fit' cat for my other daughters 2004 Volkswagen Passat (v6). The brand was also MagnaFlow.......with the CARB stamp/tax on it. I bought it thru a local Autozone parts store. The price was $760 I installed it, cleared the cat related code, drove it while I had my laptop connected to the car, watching the emissions monitors...........as soon as all monitors had 'readied', I went to the smog shop for inspection and the car failed due to tail pipe emissions........Visual and Functional passed.......just burned dirty......Brand new cat burning dirty.........so I borrow a 10 year old cat off my neighbors VW Passat and run the smog test again......it passed. Some cars just run closed to the max allowable emissions.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 2 letters and "passing" emissions just don't go together(does not matter what fuel is burned in the engine).

I want to say at least 90% of all VW's(includes audi's) I work on have the MIL on for O2 sensors.They can not make a engine that can pass emissions reliably be it gas burning or the other fuel.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 2 letters and "passing" emissions just don't go together(does not matter what fuel is burned in the engine).

I used to buy VW's and Audi's with blown engines/transmissions....DIRT CHEAP. I would then swap in a used engine or transmission, resell them and make a great profit. They actually have high resale values (for being such problematic vehicles). And yes, I too have found that those *** cars are the hardest to pass smog. One Passat in particular last year, absolutely would not "see" the B1S2 o2 sensor. I would look on my scan tool and it was as if the sensor didn't even exist.......then I look at the Real Time data logs and I see the sensors activity and it is working........but the o2 monitors never readied. I ended up pulling the motor/trans and all the components related to the IMMO security system and then sent the rest of the car to the wrecking yard.

Latest posts

Members online