cargo area space?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i'm lazy so i'm asking here instead of measuring myself. anyway i just bought my first house, move in june 1st. but its a little of a fixer upper, i'm wondering if the cargo area is wide enough to haul sheets of plywood, drywall etc, 4x8 sheets, has anyone done this?

actually my measuring tape and other tools are at the new place while im at the old place lol. so its not lazyness its lack of tools.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not very well. Best bet is to get a utility trailer. I got one a few years back and the bed tilts too. Comes in real handy.

Dave

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but you'd have a better chance of loading these on the roof rails. I wouldn't try more than a few at a time though.

The only issue becomes making sure they a completly secured so that stopping, starting, and turning doesn't cause them to shift, or come loose..

There may also be some issues with the wind coming over the top of the windshield, and catching the sheets. Probably wouldn't want them any farther forward the about the mid-point of the front door.

Obviously the trailer is the way to go... (you could rent a U-haul if you're hauling enough to make it worth while).

...or find a friend with a Pick-up.

Some of the home improvement stores will deliver, and some even have trucks they rent.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
years ago my hauler was a Durango. I built a special roof rack out of 2x4's that strapped to the factory roofrack, but properly supported 4x8 sheets. I looked ridiculous, but I was safely able to transport those large pieces. When I was done, it took literally a few seconds to unstrap the rack and put it away.
Now the Durango is gone and that rack is what I use for stacking the large sheets in my damp basement before using them.