Can you do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
My front prop shaft is making an awful noise, Can I take it out and still drive my KJ? I plan on taking it out and going to get the CV rebuilt. or picking one up from the Scrap yard

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
Yes you can,mine has been out for months now,along with the front diff and CV's.

If you have the select-trac t-case do not put in fulltime 4wd.

Ok, thanks!!

Last edited:

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious where i start trying to pull that out at. I looked at it for about 30 minutes with no tools in my hands.. Dont know exactly where to start pulling bolts.

I know my way around the car pretty well. I've set in the engine cavity before working on the front of the ******. and had my hands on places in the car that would make my mom blush. Just need a little guidence so not to make a 1 hour job take a weekend.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious where i start trying to pull that out at. I looked at it for about 30 minutes with no tools in my hands.. Dont know exactly where to start pulling bolts.
Up front there is a section with a rubber accordian boot on it, there are six small bolts (8mm I think) around the perimeter. On the back there are six more small bolts holding the rear CV unit in. You'll need to remove all six bolts and probably disconnect the exhaust pipe at the 'Y' so that there is enough room to drop the front of the shaft and get it out. After you have all the bolts out grab the shaft just in front of the back CV housing and pull forward (it's spring-loaded inside the rubber boot section) until it will clear the flange, then lift it up and back to allow clearance for the front to come out, drop it down and there ya go :) Hardest part for me was getting the bolts out of the exhaust (all the heating/cooling cycles and the rust).

GSXRGUY

Reaction score
Did not have to drop any exhaust parts to remove the Prop shaft. just have to hold your mouth right and finaggle it aaround a bit and it will come out.

I am not doing a SFA conversion, The rear boot on the shaft is....umm Gone!! and the joint is falling apart and makes the sound as if i was dragging a log chain over my transmission. Taking it up to a shop in town who can rebuild it for less than $100.00

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not have to drop any exhaust parts to remove the Prop shaft. just have to hold your mouth right and finaggle it aaround a bit and it will come out.

I am not doing a SFA conversion, The rear boot on the shaft is....umm Gone!! and the joint is falling apart and makes the sound as if i was dragging a log chain over my transmission. Taking it up to a shop in town who can rebuild it for less than $100.00

I think he meant tjkj2002 is doing the SFA conversion.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I removed the prop shaft... the rear CV joint was powedery rust... got a face full of it trying to remove the shaft. I was unable to completely remove it from the car, so I had to resort to having it tied to the bellhousing on the transmission and the output on the transfer case via metal coat hangers.

It may not be the best way to 'fix' the problem, but my gas milage has improved 3 fold and I'll be able to get to grandma's this year.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha, thats funny.

Wonder if its easier to get it out on the libertys once they put the 42rle in? They changed the exhaust some.