Can you convert a Wrangler Driver???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Transplanter

Reaction score
Hi all

Im in the UK and the proud owner of a 2001 4.0 Wrangler TJ manual

Its lifted on 33s and is fitted with a D44 Truetrac and I absolutely love it!

I mostly use it on the trails & such, and does everything I ask of it.

BUT....

My circumstances have changed and I simply need something bigger, so I immediately thought of the KJ as a replacement as I can get a 2003-05 salvage for cheap over here (less than 2000 bucks). So I have some newbie KJ questions that are probably mostly aimed at Wrangler or Ex-Wranger owners :party52:

1. I have pretty much dismissed the 3.7 based on Gas costs over here, so im looking at the 2.5 & 2.8 CRDs. Im not sure if you had both state side but if you did what is the preference? My gut instinct says 2.8 as im "guessing" it will have more low down torque!

2. Manual or Auto? I fancy an auto for off roading but should I just stick with the manual?

3. What rear axles were fitted on these and did any or all have Truetrac? As its got me out of more situations than I can care to remember :Rock on:

4. After a small lift, tires & snorkel are these KJs any good off road??? (ducks for cover :icon_razz:)

5. What sort of lift would I need to accommodate 32-33" tyres (reason for the large diameter is that the trails are so rutted over here and I would need the diff clearance (well on the rear anyways)

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers

And because everyone loves pics, heres a couple of the TJ

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all

Im in the UK and the proud owner of a 2001 4.0 Wrangler TJ manual

Its lifted on 33s and is fitted with a D44 Truetrac and I absolutely love it!

I mostly use it on the trails & such, and does everything I ask of it.

BUT....

My circumstances have changed and I simply need something bigger, so I immediately thought of the KJ as a replacement as I can get a 2003-05 salvage for cheap over here (less than 2000 bucks). So I have some newbie KJ questions that are probably mostly aimed at Wrangler or Ex-Wranger owners :party52:

1. I have pretty much dismissed the 3.7 based on Gas costs over here, so im looking at the 2.5 & 2.8 CRDs. Im not sure if you had both state side but if you did what is the preference? My gut instinct says 2.8 as im "guessing" it will have more low down torque!

2. Manual or Auto? I fancy an auto for off roading but should I just stick with the manual?

3. What rear axles were fitted on these and did any or all have Truetrac? As its got me out of more situations than I can care to remember :Rock on:

4. After a small lift, tires & snorkel are these KJs any good off road??? (ducks for cover :icon_razz:)

5. What sort of lift would I need to accommodate 32-33" tyres (reason for the large diameter is that the trails are so rutted over here and I would need the diff clearance (well on the rear anyways)

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers

]

KJs are quite good off road actually when built right
No lockers were stock, some did have a cheap no slip but basically worthless. DTT or ARB front and rear works best
Over there you already have 4.10s which is lowest yo can go with the D30a up front.
32/33s for 32s you need 4 inches of real lift for 33 6 inches
check jeepinbyal for OME/ Ironman and his adjustable coilovers
but for 4 inches of lift you are looking at 1300 plus with springs / shocks/ bumpstops /JBA upper control arms etc.
One thing with the CRDs is its harder to lift them up in the 4 inch range due to the fact the front diff sits over to the drivers side ( left side) more for clearance
CRDs cost more to keep them going also , just in routine maintanance

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a gutted and abandoned Liberty. lol
Out of curiosity, how much is gasoline vs diesel in the UK? Here, diesel currently is 70-75 cents more than gas. Was a buck difference when gas prices were higher. Diesel wouldn't be a sensible fuel cost alternative by me, unless the CRD's are getting 33% better gas mileage than gas models? Even if they do, it's still a wash.

The Transplanter

Reaction score
What is that on its side in the first picture?

It is/was an Armoured Personnel Carrier.

That picture was taken on land owned by the British Army which is still used for training. It is littered with bombed out & blown up military vehicles & tanks from WW2 through to the cold war including many Centurion & Chieftain tanks :)

When not in use by the Army they rent the land out to 4x4 & Enduro clubs

Some examples for those interested

You must be registered for see images attach

Its an awesome place if your into your history

The Transplanter

Reaction score
Not related to your question but your second picture is freaking awesome! Just saying.

Thanks

That was also on Military land which is full of troughs of water 3-4ft deep in the winter created by tanks. Its all good until you get stuck and get that titanic feeling :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel might be higher in the main't costs upfront, but in the long run its cheaper to deal with due to the fact Diesels are made to take abuse where most gasoline engines can't handle such power. You won't have to worry about rebuilds every 100-150K miles from high stress.

The Transplanter

Reaction score
Looks like a gutted and abandoned Liberty. lol
Out of curiosity, how much is gasoline vs diesel in the UK? Here, diesel currently is 70-75 cents more than gas. Was a buck difference when gas prices were higher. Diesel wouldn't be a sensible fuel cost alternative by me, unless the CRD's are getting 33% better gas mileage than gas models? Even if they do, it's still a wash.

Diesel is slightly more expensive but only around 5% more, the problem with running a 4.0 (or 3.7) is the actual cost of the fuel. Big motors are fine for recreational use but not for daily duties.

I have worked out at todays exchange rates exactly what a gallon of each fuel would cost yuo in England :thumbsdown:

Diesel = £1.08 per litre
Petrol = £1.16 per litre

1 x US Gallon = 3.785 Ltrs

3.785 Ltrs x £1.08 for Gas/Petrol = £4.09 per US Gallon, which = $6.07USD

3.785 Ltrs x £1.16 for Diesel =£4.39 per US Gallon. which = $6.51USD

The Transplanter

Reaction score
KJs are quite good off road actually when built right
No lockers were stock, some did have a cheap no slip but basically worthless. DTT or ARB front and rear works best
Over there you already have 4.10s which is lowest yo can go with the D30a up front.
32/33s for 32s you need 4 inches of real lift for 33 6 inches
check jeepinbyal for OME/ Ironman and his adjustable coilovers
but for 4 inches of lift you are looking at 1300 plus with springs / shocks/ bumpstops /JBA upper control arms etc.
One thing with the CRDs is its harder to lift them up in the 4 inch range due to the fact the front diff sits over to the drivers side ( left side) more for clearance
CRDs cost more to keep them going also , just in routine maintanance

Ok back to business :)

I want to make this as cheap and off-roader as possible, im wondering if the lack of live axle upfront will help clearance in the ruts, therefore not needing it to be so high? What size tires work with a 3" lift

The cheapest part of the KJ will be the purchase price as they are as cheap as chips over here, so when I order parts from the States I just want to do it once if I can as the shipping on weighty suspension parts is expensive :thumbsdown:

Which models had the Command-Trac an which had the Selec-Trac and which is better offroad?

Im not worried about maintenance on the CRD as im a mechanic, and understand these Motori engines are a bit flakey! But TBH if anything terminal happens I will just swap suspension etc, onto another vehicle

Cheers Al

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Which models had the Command-Trac an which had the Selec-Trac and which is better offroad?...

Does your transfer switch have both a Full-Time and Part-Time setting, or Part-Time only? Part-Time only is the Command-Trac.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok back to business :)

I want to make this as cheap and off-roader as possible, im wondering if the lack of live axle upfront will help clearance in the ruts, therefore not needing it to be so high? What size tires work with a 3" lift

The cheapest part of the KJ will be the purchase price as they are as cheap as chips over here, so when I order parts from the States I just want to do it once if I can as the shipping on weighty suspension parts is expensive :thumbsdown:

Which models had the Command-Trac an which had the Selec-Trac and which is better offroad?

Im not worried about maintenance on the CRD as im a mechanic, and understand these Motori engines are a bit flakey! But TBH if anything terminal happens I will just swap suspension etc, onto another vehicle

Cheers Al

As Tom said you're limited with the CRD lift height because the front diff is shifted to the left to accommodate the diesel engine. I think it tops off at around 3 inches of lift.

Having an independent front suspension is a curse and a blessing at the same time. Great ride on the road but will limit the traction off road since one wheel will tend to lift off the ground due to lack of flex.

The CRD's stateside typically were outfitted as Limited models so came with the SelecTrac (Full Time) transfer case and the tow package. How they are equipped in the UK may be different.

Welcome to the KJ club! ;)

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3 inch lift 245-75-16 tires or 30 inch tall ones
Looks like rest has been answered
Now as far as cheaply as possible, depends on what you think it cheap
Plus what works best is not always cheap
In Ohio we build em right and run the long term:icon_lol: