Can A Stock Liberty 4x4 Handle Canyonlands Without Consequences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
Our 2006 Liberty Sport 4x4 is 100% stock with a new set of stock size Firestone Destination tires, and 40,000 street miles. We tow it behind our motor home. I am concerned of taking it down into Canyonlands through Potash, to Musselman Arch and maybe down to the Colorado River, and then up through the old mining switchbacks (I forgot the name of that switchback trail road..some guys name was it?).

I am concerned of wrecking my new tires, messing up the alignment, and possibly worse.....requiring more repair to the Liberty than the cost of renting a Wrangler at Farabees in Moab for maybe $150 a day.

The Liberty is my wife's vehicle. She goes shopping, we visit family, and go to church in it. If anything is the least bit odd with it, she brings it up to me. What will she say after a trip through Canyonlands? Would I ever get it right again, or at what cost?

BTW: We have been down that trail twice before in rented Wranglers. It is my wife who wants to take the Liberty down there. Not me. She says...."If we don't, then why did we buy it?" I am saying, "It's ideal for lesser challenges, but not for this one. If we take it down there, afterwards you'll be forever complaining something is wrong with my Jeep!."

I would appreciate your detailed comments and experiences.

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron,

Just got back from Moab/ Canyonlands on Monday. Eight Liberty's took the run out to the doll house in the Maze district. We ran Elephant Hill and did about 150 miles in the park both on the SE and NW sides of the Colorado

You could do a lot in a stock Liberty, but If you don't have a lift, I would recommend full skid plates and sliders/rock rails to protect the ****** and engine.

Scott - from Elgin

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White Rim trail is currently closed due to washout. You can drive out to Musselman Arch but that's about all unless you want to drive 50 miles then turn around. You can take Potash to Musselman then turn around and go up Shaffer Trail to Island in the sky. I don't recommend any MOAB trail without skid plates.

I am an excellent guide btw.