Buying used KJ.. Noisy motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimheem

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post in this forum. I'm a long time Jeep guy, I've had 3 CJs, an XJ, and still have my YJ and another CJ project.

I introduced my wife to Jeeps/SUVs in general when I gave her my old XJ, with 5 speed manual. I had to teach her how to drive standard, which was interesting.. but since then she won't drive anything else but a standard shift SUV, which is great, but limits our options.

She's currently in a Land Rover Discovery, the last year that you could get the 5 Speed Manual transmission. Nice truck, no real complaints, except I'm ALWAYS fixing something. And it's never cheap ($90 for an upper radiator hose? must be solid gold.)

Anyway.. to the point of this post....

We're looking for a KJ with manual trans. We've driven 2 - a 2003 and a 2004. Both had just about 50,000 miles (which to us.. is brand new) One was at a Jeep dealer, and the other a private sale.

We noticed that the motor was LOUD and if you will "Volkswagen Beetle-ish" (noise-wise, not power) - The Jeep dealer told us that it was fine, and the private sale guy told us that it's just the way it is.

If it were only one, I'd say there was something wrong with it. But now that it's 2, I'm starting to think this is normal. We did also drive a 2007 with an automatic, and it didn't make this noise, but I realize that some things were redesigned in 2005.

So.. does yours make this noise? If it's just "the way it is" then that's fine - It's not a big deal - I just don't want to buy a big problem.

Thanks
Jim

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way you could post an audio clip? By the way you are describing it, I would say something is wrong. My 02 has a relatively nice low rumble for a stock six cylinder. Definitely not VW-ish.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is smooth and quiet. (3.7liter - A/T) Something doesn't seem right and I would think that the trans being a standard shouldn't make a difference in engine noise. Find another 5 speed to test drive.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim,

are you looking at the I-4 or the V6? I have the V-6, & would also describe it as a nice low rumble- not VW... well anything!

jimheem

Reaction score
only looking at V6's. I've read something about the angle of the cylinder as compared to other more common V6's might play something into the noise I'm hearing. I just find it odd that 2 vehicles are making the same noise, with only such low miles on them. I'm going to have to find another one to drive.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've driven two already that make the same noise - sounds like you have your answer.

I would consider my jeep very quiet. Although bear in mind most other vehicles i've driven have been chevy V-8s with headers and full exhaust. So any stock vehicles sounds quiet to me.

Comparing my friend's Cherokee's to my liberty - i would say the liberty engine is considerably quieter than the 4.0. Maybe that can help you for comaprison purposes.

2003KJ

Reaction score
indieaz said:
Comparing my friend's Cherokee's to my liberty - i would say the liberty engine is considerably quieter than the 4.0. Maybe that can help you for comaprison purposes.

X2. The KJ is pretty quiet compared to a lot, but it's been a while since i've been in a LR. More expensive vehicle (the LR) probably has more sound proofing and what not to help cut back on engine noise.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought the Liberty V6 was noisy. I put it down to the timing chains, but if you lift the hood and listen the radiator fan makes a hell of a whooshing sound.

Reaction score
Mine makes kind of a "whistle" sound when I accelarate. I don't think it's a bad thing... I hope...

02libby

Reaction score
When we got our 02 Liberty sport, we opted to get the 5 speed as well. It was always kind of loud. Louder than my in-laws 03 Liberty sport with an automatic. Also I had a problem with pre-detonation when I put 87 octane in. I only use 89 now. And I noticed the sound was not as noticeable. So I think it was the fuel rail (like a clicking noise). Now with every oil chane, I use lucas fuel treatment and I spray throttle body cleaner in the motor and it runs great. Has 78000 on it now and still going strong. the noise could also be the transmission. But it is normal.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 3.7 is only loud when its cold. It will clank, click and carry on.. Its kinda quite after it warms up though... Ive got 24k on it..

Ive heard some 3.7L's with higher miles and they are kinda loud. They clank all the time..

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is very quiet at idle, can hardly tell it's running, I'd hardly consider it noisy.....now while on the throttle it's got some noise, not rattling or anything like that, just engine revving goodness. \:D/

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BLS WA Chapter SDMF said:
Mine makes kind of a "whistle" sound when I accelarate. I don't think it's a bad thing... I hope...

That's normal - it's just air rushing through the intake. The only way to not have that sounds woudl be to have an air intake with no bends in it.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
My 3.7 is only loud when its cold. It will clank, click and carry on..

Does any one else get a wailing sound that lasts about 3-5 seconds after startup on really cold days? Sorta sounds like a very loud shop-vac, and only happens when the engine has been sitting for hours.

I'm kinda thinking it may be the starter mechanism not withdrawing from the flywheel immediately, even though it's not energized?

2003KJ

Reaction score
kjpilot said:
jeepjeepster said:

Does any one else get a wailing sound that lasts about 3-5 seconds after startup on really cold days? Sorta sounds like a very loud shop-vac, and only happens when the engine has been sitting for hours.

I'm kinda thinking it may be the starter mechanism not withdrawing from the flywheel immediately, even though it's not energized?

More than likely the starter. The starters on the KJ's are known to make some wacky noises when it gets SUPER cold.

Since it's been down in the teens here in the morning, mine has been making a few of these "noises", but I hear it's really bad when you get into climated that are below zero.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
jeepjeepster said:

Mine does the exact same thing, but I'm almost positive it's the power steering.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
... but I hear it's really bad when you get into climated that are below zero.

Today was the first day we've been above 0 F for about 2.5 weeks. Believe me, the noises are quite frightening.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1462146335669971234

Here's a clip of that whine, is this similar to what you are hearing with yours? I took this thismorning, it was about 15 degrees out. The warmer it is the shorter the duration it seems. You can hear the same type pitch in the clip when I turn the wheel also which makes me think steering, but I'm not totally sure though. I think I'll post this in the general forum and see how many people get this, I've never had a vehicle make this sort of noise before.