Buying a used Liberty questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddiek19

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm in the process of looking for and buying a used Jeep Liberty. I'm somewhat stuck between 2 vehicles and have a couple general questions regarding the Liberty. First off, what main differences are there between the 2002 and 2003 models? The two have similar mileage, but one is a year newer, should this be something I consider when purchasing? Secondly, I'm wondering what the differences are between the Sport and Limited models.

The 2002 is a Limited Edition, and is approximately $1500 cheaper than the 2003, with similar miles as I earlier stated. The 2002 has some scratches, (which would probably prompt me to get it painted at some point), but has brand new tires, while the 2003 has tires that will need to be replaced within the year.

Any help or information you could provide that would help me make this decision would be greatly appreciated. I really like the Liberty and look forward to being a member of this community.

Eddie

dnm45227

Reaction score
the limited will have more toys and most likely selectrac transfer case and if it's an early build it will be a pre-lowered model.

other than the toys there really isn't a big diff between the two model years. if it's all equal as far mileage and condition i would go w/the limited.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The '03 and '02 MAY have a different automatic transmission depending on build date. The '02 may have more ground clearance than the '03, also depending on build date. What it all comes down to is whether you want the Limited or Sport. Check both to see if they have the latest recalls done!

I'd go for the '02

Eddiek19

Reaction score
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Something I should add. The owner of the 2003 has all service records available, while the owner of the 2002 is the 2nd owner and doesn't possess the records of the original owner. We will obviously be getting both of them looked over by a mechanic, (both seem to run very well, and haven't had any issues within the past year). Should the fact that one owner has all the service records while the other does not be an issue we should consider?

I'm in the process of obtaining the VIN's to assure that all recalls have been completed.

Thanks again for your info, it is greatly appreciated.

Eddie

2003KJ

Reaction score
While having the previous maint. records is nice, I wouldn't be overly concerned with one not having them. The KJ's are pretty reliable machines....the only thing I would do is definitely make sure the recalls are up do date.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider the 2002.

You may want to peek under them both to look for any damage. This would give you an indication on whether the vehicle was taken off-road or not. Doesn't hurt to look.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.