Buying a 2003 Jeep Liberty Freedom Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grant

Reaction score
I am getting my first car and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this Liberty, I wanted a TJ Wrangler but I cant find any around here in my price range of under 6,000 plus I think the mpg on the wrangler would kill me. So will this be good for my first car and get somewhat decent gas?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting my first car and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this Liberty, I wanted a TJ Wrangler but I cant find any around here in my price range of under 6,000 plus I think the mpg on the wrangler would kill me. So will this be good for my first car and get somewhat decent gas?

To put it bluntly no. Do not buy an older Jeep for good gas mileage. A well maintained liberty will usually get about 18-22 MPGs max. But you can also see as low as 13/14. Depends on driving style and maintenance.

This was my first vehicle. Is it good? Absolutely. But the biggest thing that has always killed me since i was 17 (I'm 22 now) is gas mileage.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on what you call decent gas mileage
I have never owned anything that got 30-40 MPG so for me 20 is great
As far as a Liberty over a TJ, much better mileage, way better ride etc