Burping Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 has just started (last couple weeks) burping gas, every time I fill up. Use not to have the problem. Even when I slow the rate of fill near the end... it still does it, just less spills.
Any ideas? I see a vent tube heading up along side of the fill tube, but don't see where it terminates.............

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 has just started (last couple weeks) burping gas, every time I fill up. Use not to have the problem. Even when I slow the rate of fill near the end... it still does it, just less spills.
Any ideas? I see a vent tube heading up along side of the fill tube, but don't see where it terminates.............

its a problem that the kj has as well, in fact many of vehicles i have it on both my Jeep, and my work vehicle dodge caravan, i think i read its a breather tube problem located in the fuel tank/neck

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am past the 36000 mile warranty period, but I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if it would be covered under the emmision warranty. If not, I'll file a complaint with the NTSA.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am past the 36000 mile warranty period, but I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if it would be covered under the emmision warranty. If not, I'll file a complaint with the NTSA.
The emission warranty only covers the cats(and PCM if it's registered in Cali) and that is it.

They have a fix as stated,no use complaining about it.

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can just clear the vent hose. The easy way is to learn your vehicle and only fill it the appropriate amount. I had too after having the Libby Repainted.

zoomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different gas station? I find some pumps fill faster than others and some click the flow off earlier than others.......

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB for this.I just had my 08 KK in for this and they installed a new tank.The valve in the tank doesnt let venting,so the gas will either back splash,or the pump keeps shutting off.This TSB is for all 05/09 Liberty.:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_1400109a.pdf

Maybe some people should read this TSB.Differant gas stations has nothing to do with fueling up problem,I gave the answer,but some ignore the fix.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burps at any gas station... and even when filling kind of slow.
I read the TSB, just didn't want to run out and buy a new tank yet....

zoomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe some people should read this TSB.Differant gas stations has nothing to do with fueling up problem,I gave the answer,but some ignore the fix.

Hey, I just asked a question to further clarify.

My appologies to the mighty all seeing and all knowing Oracle.:rolleyes:

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done quite a few of these at work on Nitros, Libertys, and Ram trucks. There is an issue with the vent that is part of the fill neck on the tank. We perform the repairs under the TSB.
A new tank is really all that you can do at this point to fix the problem, which *****.

nosights

Reaction score
:DOK...here is the fix... I HAVE DONE THIS REPAIR MANY TIMES!!! No new fuel tank needed!!!!!!!

I would bet large sums of imaginary cash that it is the "filter" on your emissions system. If you lay on your back and look up at where the filler tube comes down you will see right next to it another smaller tube with a plastic canister on it (up by the filler door). This is a filter that allows air out when filling but not dirt in. This is a common issue especially for those who frequent gravel roads or dusty environments.

All you need to do is replace this and you are all set...I pretty much guarantee it (well at least as much as I can having diagnosed it over the internet). This is a 5 minute repair with common hand tools.

Part # 4891564AC List price is only $5.95 at your local dealer.

dbldune

Reaction score
Same problem

I had the same problem with the gas burping out of the tank and then an awful stink of gas in the car.
Brought it back to the dealer from whom I bought it and told him of the TSB. Gas tank was replaced as was another piece in the tank. There was no charge but I do have an extended warranty... no deductible was charged so I assume that this is a defect that they know about.
Bought my 08 used in June it only has 25k miles on it.

Best of luck