Bumper reinforcer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Well I got my tow hooks.. And that's the good news-

the bad news is-

my front bumper reinforcer is absolutely destroyed. It looks as though someone attached a chain to it and it tore straight through the passenger side of the reinforcer.. Right where the tow hook is suppose to mount up to.. It looks like it can be beat straight and I can get the hook on there, but that wouldn't be good if any force was applied to it, it would most likely just rip the hook out of the already weakened metal.

Where can I get a new one of these reinforcers? Is that even possible?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That piece of metal that the hook bolts to is basically part of the radiator support... You would have to tear apart the whole front end to replace it. Your best bet, take it somewhere and have them beat it back into place and weld it up, maybe even weld a plate in behind it to add strength.

The area where the M shaped bolt or plate goes through the frame is ok though right? If its just the single bolt hole area thats messed up its not as bad, most of the strength comes from the two holes.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure that either...

1) You're really good and know what you're doing
2) You get it checked out and have a plan of action developed by someone who does.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'd be very leery of hacking something together to get the hook on there. As you mentioned, it seems it could pull right out...with the "stretch" action of a recovery strap, even a mild pull can turn that thing into a 10 lb lethal projectile.

Midgear

Reaction score
curtosy of my iPhone-

You must be registered for see images attach

Midgear

Reaction score
Might be able to beat it straight and slap the hook on there just for looks.. only use the driver side one if I ever do have to use the hooks- and then get a plate welded in there and re-mount the other hook.. would be kinda wierd looking driving around with one hook poking out the front.

I figure tightening that passenger hook on there would probly straighten the metal a bit more-

I may mount it on there, but I probly wont be using it.. I'll wait till my strap comes in and give it a couple test yanks and see what happens.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well you got the pull the bumper off anyways so i would just go ahead and fix and weld it up so that i didnt have to go threw all that stuff again....pulling the bumper and all that stuff off...just my .2cents

Midgear

Reaction score
pulling the fascia off isnt the problem.. it's having the hook tear and go hurtling through the air into whatever im pulling or is pulling me-

we beat it straight and got it mounted.. it looks pretty flush I think. I'm not gonna put any heavy force on it untill we get a good steel bar welded in there.. My brother has a welder and has a welder certification card- so we'll get 'er all welded up and back to proper strength.

i'll post pictures of the hook on there here in a few.

Midgear

Reaction score
pictures of the hook installed- it actually looks really straight.. but it still needs strength added to it.

Midgear

Reaction score
Looks good...the support there is pretty screwed up!

that was the original intention of the creation of this thread lol.. that giant gash in the metal there right next to the tow hook.

I'm gonna give it a couple small light yanks when my strap comes in- see if it (the side where that single black bolt is) moves around any.

Midgear

Reaction score
how does welding a steel bar across the entire bottom portion (in between the hooks, not replacing where they mount) sound?

suggestions strengthening this would be appreciated.. i've never welded anything to one of my vehicles before lol

how thick'a steel should I use?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Can you MIG? If not I would take it to a welder,have it done well.

Midgear

Reaction score
my brother has certification in all types and kinds of welding.. except for underwater welding- doubt he can do that lol

If any welding is going to be done on the Jeep, it'll be him that does it.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
my brother has certification in all types and kinds of welding.. except for underwater welding- doubt he can do that lol

If any welding is going to be done on the Jeep, it'll be him that does it.

Good enough,take the hook off, plate it,beat raged edges down,weld away,as good if not better than new. Oh,do not forget the radiator is plastic on ends.