bull bar recovery points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Punkkid

Reaction score
i have a bull bar in my libby and i love the look but as i get more into to going off road i know i will need to have recovery points. my question is would it be possible to drill holes into the brackets and use d shackles as recovery points? the brackets seem to be pretty heavy duty steel. I'm new to this whole jeep thing so try not to flame me too bad guys. :favorites13:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of bar? How is it mounted? What steel is it made of? There are a lot of considerations before making anything a tow point. It will have to take the weight of the vehicle x6+. Pictures and what model it is would help.

Punkkid

Reaction score
ill try to grab some pictures and throw them up by tomorrow. im not sure of the model. the brackets the bar bolts to are some sort of steel idk the type. say it would need to hold 6x vehicle weight now make me more skeptical of my idea. hopefully it will all make sense after the pics are up.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If its one of the regular " bull bars" we see all the time, no way to have any type of recovery points mounted to it or around it.
Remove it, sell it to some streeter and install some tow hooks and be done

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible, you could mount whatever you want to where ever you want if you have the skills and know how... Now is it cost effictive? Probable not, but that's not to say it can't be done. Also I personaly am not a fan of tow hooks as the chain or rope can slip off, I like me some D-Rings!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything is possible, you could mount whatever you want to where ever you want if you have the skills and know how... Now is it cost effictive? Probable not, but that's not to say it can't be done. Also I personaly am not a fan of tow hooks as the chain or rope can slip off, I like me some D-Rings!
You could try and do some redneck engineering and keep the bull bar
BUT
seen it done a few times on here and LOST over the years and its never a good ending, the bull bars are weak and nothing to attach to,
Remove the bull bar and start over

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a shop that makes something for the WJ that does what you want I just forget the name of the shop I know it starts with an F I will look it up

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bull bar on my 05. I definitely would not use it to attach any recovery points. I was able to fit the factory tow hooks in the factory positions after I installed the bull bar. I painted the hooks silver to stand out. I agree the hooks are not as good as d rings though.

Punkkid

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Bracket pictures. Give the needing 6x vehicle weight comment I'm not sure it will work.

Rennagade how did you manage to fit the hook up there with the bar?

Latest posts

Members online