Broken Head - This Is a First For Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KelLogan

Reaction score
I just picked up this '04 3.7l Liberty from a friend of a friend. They told me that the engine was bad and so they needed it gone. I loaded it on the trailer and brought it home. I noticed that the belt was off and it was obvious that it had overheated. Then I noticed that the power steering pump was crooked. I removed two bolts and the front of the head fell off with the pump. In all of my years of wrenching, this is a first for me. I cannot even begin to imagine what caused this.
You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That does not look good. Overheating and a aluminum fracture, hmmm.. can we say "meltdown" Or was this a casting issue?

KelLogan

Reaction score
It doesn't look like a meltdown. Everything else is in place. Everything spins freely. I even charged the battery and it fired right up. I only let it run for a few seconds but there was no knocking and it runs smoothly. There is no water in the oil but there was some smoke when it first fired. I am tempted to just replace the head and do gaskets but I will probably take it all the way down and teach my boy since he has staked his claim on it.

Latest posts

Members online