Break in oil for engine after complete rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdm5032c

Reaction score
What is the best break in oil to use after the rebuild on my Jeep 3.7 after a complete rebuild? She is still on the engine stand, but I will probably put it in in the next few weekends.

Also, I am going to go back with the HOAT antifreeze like it should have had in it. Is a flush of the radiator and heater core adequate or is more needed to go back to the HOAT?

Thanks for your help. This has been a long and educating process for me, but in the end I think it will turn out well.

Tracy

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would use regular dino oil for the first oil & filter change at 500 miles and 2nd then up to 3000 miles and then synthetics after that if you like.
Since you can still flush without engine installed, by all means get the rad & core flushed out good.
Then when you are ready fill with (HOAT) Zerex G05 premixed & you will be good to go.
You are probably going to need 15 quarts.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ This is as good of advice as any.

You're going to get varied replies on this one, as everyone has their own beliefs and methods of doing it. Generally speaking, just a good quality conventional oil (dino oil) at the intervals LibertyTC mentioned.

Factory engines typically last a VERY long time, and I would bet money that Chrysler/Jeep doesn't use anything special to run in their new engines, or any manufacturer for that matter.

... well, maybe a new Corvette ZO6 or Viper engine...

tdm5032c

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I got the oil in it and everything else put back together finally. Fired her up last night with no problems at all. Runs great!

Now the next question is what is the best break-in method for this engine. I have searched the forum and tried to find any information on how to break this in, but can't find any. Any information would be appreciated. I have put a lot of time and money into this engine, and I want to break it in correctly.

Thanks again!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I got the oil in it and everything else put back together finally. Fired her up last night with no problems at all. Runs great!

Now the next question is what is the best break-in method for this engine. I have searched the forum and tried to find any information on how to break this in, but can't find any. Any information would be appreciated. I have put a lot of time and money into this engine, and I want to break it in correctly.

Thanks again!

Again varied answers on this one as to best way to break one in
Me personally when installing new engine , buying a new vehicle or Harley
I start off running them the way they are going to be ran the next 200,000 miles plus . Mostly pretty much wide open .................
The 04 had less than 100 miles on it when i hooked a fully loaded 6X10 enclosed trailer to it , hit the interstate set it about 80-82 and away we went ( after hitting the rev limiter on the on ramp )
Some say to go easy for the first 500, etc
I do change the oil at 6-700, then 1500 then 3000

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new engine in mine with 11,000 miles on it so far. When i broke it in I changed the oil and filter after 500 miles but drove it normally (didn't baby it or hammer the crap out of it) after that I went to mobil 1 full synthetic and just drove it like I stole it. After 2,000 miles I got a long stretch of road and drove fast as I could that was safe. No problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again varied answers on this one as to best way to break one in
Me personally when installing new engine , buying a new vehicle or Harley
I start off running them the way they are going to be ran the next 200,000 miles plus . Mostly pretty much wide open .................
The 04 had less than 100 miles on it when i hooked a fully loaded 6X10 enclosed trailer to it , hit the interstate set it about 80-82 and away we went ( after hitting the rev limiter on the on ramp )
Some say to go easy for the first 500, etc
I do change the oil at 6-700, then 1500 then 3000
Like Tommud said varied answers a mate used to build race engines and always maintained run em in like your gunna drive it. Followed this method many times with many engines never had an issue

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Tommud said varied answers a mate used to build race engines and always maintained run em in like your gunna drive it. Followed this method many times with many engines never had an issue

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think that just goes to prove that except perhaps for the first hour or so that it is ran, it really does not matter much.

Run it like a race car, baby it, tow with it, dont tow with it, WOT, Dont go WOT... clearly the same results regardless. ASSUMING that it was built correctly and no parts fail.

Any parts that will fail, are likely to do so sooner than later, so you usually see that pretty quick.

I think changing out the oil at 500, 1500, 3000 and then on a regular schedule thereafter is equally if not more important.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the next question is what is the best break-in method for this engine.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is get in the habit of letting the engine run while the Jeep is sitting in the garage. As tempting as it may be to hear it run, wait till you're ready to hit the road. The initial run of the engine is crucial to getting a good break-in between the rings and cylinder walls. The best method is to drive the thing, not beat on it, but don't baby it either. Driving puts the engine under a load (as opposed to free wheeling it in the garage) which better forces the rings out against the cylinder walls for a better ring break-in. What I also like to do is drape a woman's nylon over the upper neck of the radiator, then slip the radiator hose on, and remove it after the initial run. You'd be surprised to see what bits of crud, sealant bits etc. that can catch.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a daily driver just put in good dino oil and change 250/500/1000/3000.

As far as break in just drive normally and no towing/offroading/long drives.You want to heat cycle the engine which means full operating temp then cool down then back to full operating temp.

Now getting into higher performance engines that is a whole nother ballgame.The 600hp engine that went in my Cutlass was ran on a dino at 2500rpm's for 20mins then pulled ******* the dino to final tune.In the car it was "drive it like you stole it".