Braking symptoms. possible warped rotor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am experiencing a braking issue. I think it may be warped rotors?

Driving on regular street roads, no issues with braking, either braking hard or slow.
However, I've noticed at freeway speeds, I've noticed that I would feel steering vibrations while braking. No pulsating brake pedal so I don't think this is ABS kicking in.

Recently, on a trip at Palm springs CA, I was going down a windy inclined road which was pretty long. Speed limit was around 40 so was using the brakes on and off. Thought this would be a good chance to see whether it is a speed related issue. I eventually experienced the steering vibrations. Brake pedal did not seem to be pulsating.

I take it this is a symptom of warped rotor?
I guess when I'm driving in city roads, the rotor does not get heated up enough for me to experience it?

Thanks.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 exhibited very similar behavior, my brake pedal didn't pulsate, but I could feel the Jeep shimmy as I applied braking pressure, and the steering got weird.. sometimes pulling to one side as well.

Warped rotors were the issue for me. Change both front rotors, new set of pads (even though old ones had pad material left..) and problem went away.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like a rotor issue, those are more noticeable at higher speeds. I think the rule of thumb is front rotors issues you feel more in the steering wheel, rear rotors you feel more from your seat.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aiks.....

Do i need new pads as well? would they be affected by the warp rotor?
both are new about 2.5 yrs old.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I had the same issue on mine. It only happened at highway speeds. New brakes and rotors fixed the problem.

Yes you probably need new pads as they may have a bad wear pattern due to the warped rotors.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have had that issue even for a little while then yes new pads, rotors, hardware etc

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing on my '05. It was warped rotor(s). Can't remember if both fronts were warped or not. In my case, the warped rotors were caused by sticking brake calipers.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

i've never done warranty through NAPA before. every brake hardware in the front are NAPAs.

Would they warrant the adaptive one pads?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1318933pdf?$PDF$

I'm guessing no. Double no because it's Napa and I rarely have a good experience with them. Although you might get lucky, worth a shot.

Latest posts

Members online