Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes are starting to make noise after 40k miles. The Mrs noticed it today, so it's become top priority for me. I'm just gonna do the pads, unless the rotors look really bad, which I doubt.

Autozone here I come. I'm thinkin Duralast Gold unless someone has another suggestion. Here are my autozone options:

DURALAST SEMI-METALLIC MKD856A LLT $24.99
*** CONSISTENT AND EFFECTIVE BRAKING WITH SHIMS
INCLUDED WHERE APPLICABLE ***

MORSE-CERAMIC 856AC 2 YR $45.99
*** CERAMIC FRICTION FOR QUIETER PERFORMANCE,
VIRTUALLY DUST - FREE BRAKING ***

DURALAST-GOLD DG856A LLT $38.99
DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM DURABILITY AND STOPPING POWER.

PFC_CARBON-METALIC 0856-20 2 YR $44.99
SUPERIOR STOPPING PERFORMANCE.

PFC_CARBON-METALLIC 8564 2 YR $39.99
SUPERIOR STOPPING PERFORMANCE.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I got the duralast gold and I'm getting alot of squeling. No problem, I'm just chalking it up to dust build up. All the same though it's very agrevating.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the duralast gold before reading last 2 replies. I also got some anti-squeal crap to spread on them, so hopefully it will be $1 well spent. I'd wanted to do them last night, because I'm going on a ~300mi trip weekend, but doesnt seem like it's gonna happen until at least tomorrow night. Checked the rotors last night (thru the wheel) and they seem fine, nothing jagged. Its kind of weird how the brakes indicated that they require attention... usually I've found that the "squeal strips" in brake pads wear thru, the brakes start to squeak, and you replace them. These went right to the mechanical grinding type of sound, and it happened very quickly. Nothing unusual in terms of noise, just weird how it manifested itself.

-Blu

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
These went right to the mechanical grinding type of sound, and it happened very quickly. Nothing unusual in terms of noise, just weird how it manifested itself.

-Blu

At every 5,000 mile tire rotation, the brakes need to be closely inspected. If there is a problem, you're more readily able to correct it before any rotor damage is done. Based on your description of the brake wear, sounds like the inner pad wore at a more rapid rate....possibly due to a hardware problem, slide problem, or even a hose or caliper problem. If there's a huge difference in percentage of wear between the L/F wheel and R/F wheel, there's an underlying problem somewhere.
Greg

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking along the same lines. Will check it out tomorrow night.

-Blu

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I might look into these things...
Hawk Brakes - $75.03 (+ shipping)
I've had them for my neon (back when I used to autocross it), and loved them although I'm back to stock pads on that car now that it's just a 15 mile per day daily driver (all slow city roads). Maybe the Jeep deserves them, it see about 40 miles a day minimum, with most of it at highway speeds.
One problem is the Hawks are only for the fronts (still need to find a rear set) and they're about 2x as much as anything else. So it'll be a toss up as to whether I make that change when the time comes.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I did the brakes yesterday. Because of circumstance (Driving, working on the house) I had to wait until about midnight to start working on them.

Ok, so heres how the pads looked:
You must be registered for see images

Clockwise from upper left - Passenger inner, Driver inner, Driver outer, passenger outer.

The passengers side rotor was scored a little on the inside, but it wasn't as bad as I would have expected. I wound up re-using the rotors without turning them, figuring I'd just replace them next go around. I really couldnt believe they'd gotten this bad without any real signs until it started in with the metal-on-metal.

I did notice some unusual wear on the drivers side tire, and ended up swapping out the spare for the drivers side tire. First time that thing has seen the road. If I had to guess, the wear pattern looks like a telltale sign of an alignment necessary. I'm really hoping I can hold off thru the summer to get 'er done, so that I can get dueler revos @ same time.

Oh, by the way, at least for the moment, the Duralast Gold pads seem to be doing pretty well. I put a lil brake grease on the shims and they're totally quiet.

-Blu

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that there's no wear indicators built into the brake pad set ? If not, everyone with 20k or 25k miles better go pull your wheels and check all your pads (and shoes, if equipped) !
Greg

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
I did notice some unusual wear on the drivers side tire, and ended up swapping out the spare for the drivers side tire. First time that thing has seen the road. If I had to guess, the wear pattern looks like a telltale sign of an alignment necessary. I'm really hoping I can hold off thru the summer to get 'er done, so that I can get dueler revos @ same time.
-Blu

Alignment - $40 (4 wheel alignment ~$80)
New Tire(s) - $100 each (you'll likely need 2, sine you're now wearing your "spare" just like the other one)

Just get the alignment done now and save the tires. Don't force yourself into having to buy new tires. Didn't you just buy a new house that needed renovations? Save yer money man, you never know what'll come up next. If you roast the tires, and then suddenly need a repair around the house you'll do like I did and end up cheaping out on the tires and not getting what you wanted. Just sound advice from someone who did that exact same thing. Man I wish I would've just spent the $40 on the alignment! ](*,)

dnm45227

Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
Am I correct that there's no wear indicators built into the brake pad set ? If not, everyone with 20k or 25k miles better go pull your wheels and check all your pads (and shoes, if equipped) !
Greg
That's correct there are no were indicators. Whent hey go it's metal to metal immediately.[/quote]