brake kit recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to make a hard stop for the first time in a long time and now with heavier everything on the KJ i was not impressed, could have ended up bad.

so any recommended kits , parts , or brands ?

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit off Amazon called Max KT010733, they came from Canada. It was a complete kit of 4 slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads for all wheels, I was very impressed with it. No more pulsating pedal and I had to get on them really ******* a trip to Atlanta with zero issues. They don't get hot like the stock ones. I did replace 1 caliper that was sticky.

I paid $129 for the kit and it took 1 week to arrive. I would buy them again in a heartbeat

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebc...
Usr1478
usr7225
dp41673r
dp41612r

fair warning: that all cost me over $525 total. It was worth every penny.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock rotors with the best NAPA pads
Stops me with a trailer full of cut / split / stacked wood
None of drilled and slotted, I want more surface, not less

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to make a hard stop for the first time in a long time and now with heavier everything on the KJ i was not impressed, could have ended up bad.

so any recommended kits , parts , or brands ?

I had no issues with Napa Premium rotors and there Adaptive One pads stopping my 5500lbs KJ when I was still IFS,had stock drums in the back also and still at least 1000lbs heavier then yours.

Now at 6200lbs+ and 35" tires with marginally larger front brakes and exact same size rear disc brakes I stop just fine with Black Magic front brake kit(they make them for stock KJ's) and what ever rotors came with the disc brake kit(dual bolt pattern) and Napa Premium pads.

You will not get better performance from drilled rotors,like Tom stated less material so less performance.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks everyone , I like to keep it simple with this kinda stuff so I'll check out the napa premiums

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've ran Centric rotors before and they are great. EBC Green stuff pads I can take or leave.

Now I have Powerstop solid ones, with ceramic pads and they feel great. Running Napa premium ones on my XJ and they seem good too.

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use slotted drilled rotors on every vehicle I own because I can't stand heat warping.

I have yet to have an issue with "less" material and I have even pulled heavy trailers loaded with rock and concrete.

There is a difference between theories and realities

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I use slotted drilled rotors on every vehicle I own because I can't stand heat warping.

I have yet to have an issue with "less" material and I have even pulled heavy trailers loaded with rock and concrete.

Race car on the track , yes drilled and slotted are good.
On the street, never build up that much heat to need them.
All they do is give the look of a race car and allow more area for mud and dirt to build up

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you know how drilled rotors even were made?

Drag racing,and not for heat concerns but weight and that is it.

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never , and I mean never, had any drilled/slotted rotor on any of my vehicles warp from heat like my vehicles that were not drilled/slotted, and this is why I have been using them for ages now.

But thats ok, I will go tell my Silverado 3500HD that it should go ahead and warp, because of my ignorance on why they are drilled/slotted, and leave this conversation with defeat :p

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been on your end of that conversation before as well.. while using them on my other vehicles with GREAT results. Only downfall I've ever had, is some drilled ones I've ran have an odd air noise. Took me a bit until I could figure out what exactly the noise was, I was stumped.. put my warped solid ones back on, just to see.. noise went away and once I realized what it was I said screw it..
Put my drilled/slotted ones back on.. and I ran another 40-50k easy with them before that car kicked it.

Point of what I'm saying being, I'll join you in the corner of defeat :D

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brakes are worse than religion, when it comes to discussion. :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Few years back I visited the instructor that taught me about brakes years ago. yes it was at a school, not some guy under a shade tree.
If you think things get wild here, you should hear his many story's on why you shouldn't run drilled and slotted rotors .
He had worked for many of the older brake companies on a consulting basis, so knew his stuff for sure

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never , and I mean never, had any drilled/slotted rotor on any of my vehicles warp from heat like my vehicles that were not drilled/slotted, and this is why I have been using them for ages now.

But thats ok, I will go tell my Silverado 3500HD that it should go ahead and warp, because of my ignorance on why they are drilled/slotted, and leave this conversation with defeat :p

Either have I and I've never used drilled rotors.

3 of the quickest and most demanding race circuits don't use drilled rotors(Indy,Formula 1,and NASCAR), why is that?

Slotted rotors have there place,but in racing and actually cause brake damage used offroad in mud and water.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either have I and I've never used drilled rotors.

3 of the quickest and most demanding race circuits don't use drilled rotors(Indy,Formula 1,and NASCAR), why is that?

carbon/carbon/carbon, carbon/carbon/carbon, and cast iron or steel with appropriate pads (couldn't find anything about the pads, honestly.)
I'd say the first two don't really need any additions like slots or holes. :D None of these series expect much in the way of longevity out of the brakes, farther than a single race distance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carbon/carbon/carbon, carbon/carbon/carbon, and cast iron or steel with appropriate pads (couldn't find anything about the pads, honestly.)
I'd say the first two don't really need any additions like slots or holes. :D None of these series expect much in the way of longevity out of the brakes, farther than a single race distance.

Yeah and no holes.

Holes = weight reduction only and worse performance.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the stainless steel lines dont offer any real performance increase correct ? just a different feel and durability ?