Brake Fluid DOT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i learned dot 4 is supposed to be used with non abs because during hard braking the brakes arent pulsating so its gonna build up more heat than abs
I'm currently have DOT 4 brake fluid in my KJ(and it has been in there for 2 years) and the bottle says recommended for all ABS equipped vehicles and non-ABS vehicles requiring DOT 3/4 brake fluid.

Oh and actually you will have greater heat build up in a ABS system then a non-ABS system.And why? Well in a ABS system when you brakes are "pulsating" they are still turning and creating friction(which ='s heat) and the ABS soliniods are activating which builds up heat.In a non-ABS system the wheels just lock up(no heat build up for the brakes,just the tires) and no solinionds to add heat to the system either.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently have DOT 4 brake fluid in my KJ(and it has been in there for 2 years) and the bottle says recommended for all ABS equipped vehicles and non-ABS vehicles requiring DOT 3/4 brake fluid.

Oh and actually you will have greater heat build up in a ABS system then a non-ABS system.And why? Well in a ABS system when you brakes are "pulsating" they are still turning and creating friction(which ='s heat) and the ABS soliniods are activating which builds up heat.In a non-ABS system the wheels just lock up(no heat build up for the brakes,just the tires) and no solinionds to add heat to the system either.

i was talking about hard braking but not locking up

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lotsa talk about locking up brakes anf ABS pulsating. I'm not sure how everyone else drives but I've been a pretty spirited driver and only felt that pulsation 2 maybe 3 times since it has been on the market. You won't get enough heat buildup in the brakes to effect the brake fluid with one panic stop. Even if you did it wouldn't effect anything until the next stop. My point is DOT 4 or 5.1 will never be needed in any but the most extreme cases.

Just sayin.
________
Handheld Vaporizer Iolite Review

Last edited:

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious

Hi tjkj2002
Why is the test for Copper ions more reliable of brake fluid utilitilty when primary heat exposed componentry is Aluminium of assorted alloys which will galvanically interact between one another if water is present & with brake lines?
I understand this goes beyond the storage in a container.

Is there not still an issue with off-roading of hitting water hard & pushing it past the seals where it cannot so easily evaporate as well as air cooling rapidly (should one not cool down before entering deeper water) then the air inside seals cools rapidly drawing water inside the seals by atmospheric pressure thereby staying there where it can infiltrate the system?

How does the Copper get into solution.....perhaps you could throw some light on the hows and whys. Now if the lines are Copper.....how does that become dissolved into the fluid? ......and if as you say the lines are Aluminium where does the copper come from? Even more puzzling, if the lines are Aluminium where does the Copper come from?

It would be a simple issue of measuring conductivity would it not?

Wud love to know if you could please clarify.

Thanks heaps
Auberon

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I am using DOT4.

Also, you have to be more specific when talking about ABS. ABS only comes on when it detects a lock-up condition. So, we are to believe that the "pulsating effect" by the ABS pump generates more heat, than if you were steadily riding the brake to a stop? I don't think so. The heat would be about the same, or not even worth measuring. In either case, the pads are ALWAYS in contact with the rotor, it is the pressure that is varied with ABS. If there was a miracle way that ABS pulls the pads completely off the rotor, then sure, but that's not how disc brakes work, YET...

OK, how about this scenario: When you stomp the brake, and the wheels are about to lock up, ABS is applied; TO the wheels only in danger of locking up. So, lets say this; if the left HALF are with FIRM BRAKE PAD pressure (tires got a excellent grip on the road), and the other half, ABS is being applied (are slipping on water). You are telling me, that the right side brake rotors, with ABS pulsing the pads, will be hotter than the ones that have a firm grip on the road, and the pads are constantly pressured to the rotor? OK...

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I ask if the KJ has such proportionate application capability?

I don't think I really care much about the DOT fluid number since I go about every 2 years to the dealer and have the brake fluid bleed out of my KJ (winters.... Rain.... Boat ramps....)

Oh and I've only had the ABS kick on 2 times in 8 years. Every time it was on ice. Once I was traveling too fast for the conditions. The other time I was barely moving.

Members online

No members online now.