Brake Fluid Confusion! I wonder Why...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I know it's a Jeep Thing...

Most vehicles On Brake Fluid Cap Clearly Print DOT3-4 etc for Required Fluid.
48460[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

My 04 is NOT ABS....So I call the dealer as Im about to do brake fluid flush..& new front pads....
When Asked Dealer what fluid does an 04 Liberty require for non abs for fluid..
Answer: DOT 4.
Ya ok.....
SO into the owners manual I go....
48462[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Really DOT3 and it is ok to mix with DOT4??? HELP! Really??...
wtf.gif :favorites68: I was under the impression not to mix 3 and 4 ever...
Of course I have no way of knowing what is currently in there or if it may have been previously mixed before.
So which fluid should I do a complete flush with..?? :popcorn:

Attachments

• JeepBrakeFluidCap.jpg
    JeepBrakeFluidCap.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepBrakeFluidOwnersManual.jpg
    JeepBrakeFluidOwnersManual.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can mix DOT 3 and DOT 4 with no worries.I use DOT 4 for the higher boiling point and have for 10 years in my KJ.

You can't mix DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5(silicone brake fluid),then again you can't use DOT 5 period unless you change all the rubber pieces out in the brake system.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, never heard of dot 5.

Ive always used valvoline brake fluid, which is dot 4. Cant say ive not had issues, two calipers have seized up on me. Probably flushed my brakes twice completely. Some people dont know what it means to flush brakes.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran DOT 5 in my super sport bike. Tjkj is right, gotta change out the rubber. Cost alot for little gain, but it did stop better, sometimes too good......

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting in 2006, most US cars came with Dot 4 brake fluid. That would explain why your 2004 manual makes no mention of the non-used (at the time) fluid. DOT 4 is an improvement over 3. You can use either, but 4 is better.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting in 2006, most US cars came with Dot 4 brake fluid. That would explain why your 2004 manual makes no mention of the non-used (at the time) fluid. DOT 4 is an improvement over 3. You can use either, but 4 is better.
DOT 3 is still the standard on 95% of vehicles sold in the US today,even '14 models.Your European imports like VW,Volvo,and such require DOT 4 purely for the higher boiling point.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silicone brake fluid,has a really high boiling point and not hydroscopic. Dealt with it for 10 years in the military,the HMMWV's use DOT 5.Least it was easy to spot leaks since it was purple.

Which is why its used in racing and high performance applications.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, as well though I apologize I should have been slightly more specific in the racing applications. I'm not talking full Circuit aka British Touring Car, or Le Mans, more like Amateur Racing and or something you'd use at the Drag Strip on the weekend.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing not mentioned it, DOT 5 can't be used in ABS systems. It is a little squishy compared to DOT 3,4 and 5.1, and doesn't respond well to the fast acting ABS systems.

Members online

No members online now.