Bouncing like a Kangaroo!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally realize that my stock struts are toast. I was driving on the x-way for the first time in a long time and as I drove over some crests in the road (70mph) I could feel the front end of my Jeep bounce like crazy. When I arrived at my destination I got out and pushed on my front end, only to see it continue to bounce about 3-5 more times before stopping.

**NOTE** When MIAH installed his lift, the BDS rear shocks were totally obliviated. I can only assume mine are the same for the rear.

I plan to get all new Rancho rear shocks/struts and possibly Moog ball joints (I'm debating since the recall is coming up).

The Question:
Is it okay to drive city limits with the blown out front struts?? I want to replace them within the month (closer to the 1st week of September).

Thanks,

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it would be okay for mild city driving. You need to extend those upper bump stops in the front to safeguard your struts. Or do like I did and add something to the top of the upper a-arm to close the gap.

You must be registered for see images

mberthia

Reaction score
You should be fine driving with worn shocks but with time you will get uneven tire wear. How many miles do you have on those shocks ?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
**NOTE** When MIAH installed his lift, the BDS rear shocks were totally obliviated. I can only assume mine are the same for the rear.
Thanks,
EDIT: the word is obliterated, not obliviated. ](*,)

Dude Dude Dude. Totally my fault I mislead you, (and myself for that matter)

At the time that I installed my frankenlift, I actually had no idea of the differences between gas and hydraulic shocks. (Bet you didnt think the frankenlift was so easy to install that a total mechanical noob could install it, but lo and behold; it is.)

So let me take a moment to completely hijack your thread and give a lesson in shock therapy(poorly used pun).

Gas Charged Shock - Provide resistance in both directions and constant pressure upwards, where the most resitance is needed anyway. This results in smoother compression and extension, hence the better ride quality and higher price.
A gas shock is bad if it fails to entend when unloaded.

Hydraulic Shock - Provides constant pressure in either direction; and has no bias towards either direction. These are almost always cheaper than gas shocks, and do not provide and smooth of a ride.

The BDS shocks are Hydraulic, so I was completely mistaken thinking that all shocks should extend when unloaded.
A bad hydraulic shock will be covered in oil and or visibly damaged. or just wont function.

(My mistake was completely based on imformation I thought I had learned in this forum. I dont feel like hunting it down but in one of the threads someone laid out uncontested incorrect information about shock functions)

I felt like a fool when I went back to the shop I bought them from and said I wanted some new shocks. He set me straight and taught me all I could ever want to know about shocks. (Much of which I didn't even want to know.)

So Phil, don't worry, as long as your shocks arent gooey, they'll be fine, but the ranchos are awesome and totally worth having. (They are longer too)