Bought new rig and found some goodies!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I purchased a 2003 Renegade with 108k miles from an auction. I was only able to spend about 2 minutes total checking the thing over before I had to hurry and bid on it. I think I did well. Truck was delivered to my home today and I spent about a good hour with the thing and looked over a lot! First...I don't think this thing was ever offroaded! I believe it is an original Colorado vehicle and it is CLEAN! The engine compartment looks like a 25k mile rig! Interior is solid and really clean with very light wear. One of the main reasons why I wanted this particular truck was because it came with the 5spd. Now I bought it knowing that it started and ran beautifully but would not move under it's own power. After looking it over I found plenty of clutch material coming out of the little vent hole so now I have a good idea what is up with that. But upon further inspection I noticed that this vehicle had to have belonged to someone here or on lost and would really appreciate it if someone could get us in contact with each other. The oil was a beautiful golden color and there was a new K&N air filter which I will be tearing out to install a dry AFE. Belt looked new but I noticed some moisture from a slow PS leak at the house in the front behind the driver headlight so that will be taken care of. The biggest surprise was that there was a fairly new lift installed that I did not see originally! I honestly do not think there is more than 5k miles on it. Problem is that I do not know what it is. I know the shocks are OME but I can't tell the make of the springs or load. I honestly was planning to use this as a DD so I am not that excited about the lift. In fact I wish I had brand new OEM but I will make due if I learn that the quality of ride is improved over factory. What made me look harder at the suspension was noticing the terflex bump stops! The JBA offroad stickers intrigued me also! Now there are these red brackets which appear to be a diff drop of sorts on the rear. Is this what helps raise the rear? Also...one of the main bolts on the bracket is in contact with the rear sway bar. Anyone have a fix for that? Here are a few pics!

EDIT: the pic showing the bolt making contact with the rear swaybar is lousy! You can see in the lower corner...the bolt that is cut off in the pic is what I was asking about!

Attachments

• jeep 1.jpg
    jeep 1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 71
  • jeep 2.jpg
    jeep 2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 64
  • shock 1.jpg
    shock 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 76
  • shock 2.jpg
    shock 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 74
  • sway bolt.jpg
    sway bolt.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything is better than the way the liberty rides stock.. every time I ride in a lifted liberty I have to hop in mine and cry lol..
But no, really. Great find and hope she fixes up well for you!

P.s... most people just take that rear sway bar off when they lift it, some install it back.. but it doesn't need to be there.
But it appears to me, is should be like that as it looks like a JBA kit..
I know just the man to answer this question lol... speak Tom's name 3 times and he'll appear..

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good find springs look like OME and honestly it will ride so much better than new stock suspension .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't tell you which springs you have check for a tag on them
But OEM *****, I removed mine at only 20,000 miles they were so bad
Remove the rear sway bar, they do nothing at all. Have ran KJs well over 250,000 miles without them
The red bracket on the rear is to raise the trilink up when its lifted for a better angle
Now next measure from middle of the wheel to bottom edge of the flare on all 4 corners and report back . That will tell us the amount of lift.
Stock would of been 19 inches on yours. Also what size tires that are on it.
Sounds like someone took good care of it

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I purchased a 2003 Renegade with 108k miles from an auction. I was only able to spend about 2 minutes total checking the thing over before I had to hurry and bid on it. I think I did well. Truck was delivered to my home today and I spent about a good hour with the thing and looked over a lot! First...I don't think this thing was ever offroaded! I believe it is an original Colorado vehicle and it is CLEAN! The engine compartment looks like a 25k mile rig! Interior is solid and really clean with very light wear. One of the main reasons why I wanted this particular truck was because it came with the 5spd. Now I bought it knowing that it started and ran beautifully but would not move under it's own power. After looking it over I found plenty of clutch material coming out of the little vent hole so now I have a good idea what is up with that. But upon further inspection I noticed that this vehicle had to have belonged to someone here or on lost and would really appreciate it if someone could get us in contact with each other. The oil was a beautiful golden color and there was a new K&N air filter which I will be tearing out to install a dry AFE. Belt looked new but I noticed some moisture from a slow PS leak at the house in the front behind the driver headlight so that will be taken care of. The biggest surprise was that there was a fairly new lift installed that I did not see originally! I honestly do not think there is more than 5k miles on it. Problem is that I do not know what it is. I know the shocks are OME but I can't tell the make of the springs or load. I honestly was planning to use this as a DD so I am not that excited about the lift. In fact I wish I had brand new OEM but I will make due if I learn that the quality of ride is improved over factory. What made me look harder at the suspension was noticing the terflex bump stops! The JBA offroad stickers intrigued me also! Now there are these red brackets which appear to be a diff drop of sorts on the rear. Is this what helps raise the rear? Also...one of the main bolts on the bracket is in contact with the rear sway bar. Anyone have a fix for that? Here are a few pics!

EDIT: the pic showing the bolt making contact with the rear swaybar is lousy! You can see in the lower corner...the bolt that is cut off in the pic is what I was asking about!

I have a fix for that somewhere on this forum.
found it.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/went-ahead-installed-link-extension-51933/index4.html

Last edited:

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you which springs you have check for a tag on them
But OEM *****, I removed mine at only 20,000 miles they were so bad
Remove the rear sway bar, they do nothing at all. Have ran KJs well over 250,000 miles without them
The red bracket on the rear is to raise the trilink up when its lifted for a better angle
Now next measure from middle of the wheel to bottom edge of the flare on all 4 corners and report back . That will tell us the amount of lift.
Stock would of been 19 inches on yours. Also what size tires that are on it.
Sounds like someone took good care of it

Ok... front and rear are both sitting at 21" from center of wheel to outer edge of wheel flare. Does that mean 2" lift or 2.5" with some settling? Also...do those measurements help indicate if I have medium or heavy springs? Thanks very much for all the help as well!

Tire size is 235-70-16's and honestly make the truck look like a body builder that constantly skipped leg day! This is actually why I did not want a lift. It definitely needs new wheels with a better offset to bring them closer to the flare edge. The tires definitely need to be larger as well and this is where my other dilemma is....I didn't want to regear! Think the 5spd will help overcome the deficiency?

EDIT: the tires are cooper discovery at3's and not only did they replace all 5....they too look like they only have about 5k miles on them!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm at that height, I have 245/70/17s so 245/75/16s for you. They work just fine. Won't need to regear with that size.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok... front and rear are both sitting at 21" from center of wheel to outer edge of wheel flare. Does that mean 2" lift or 2.5" with some settling? Also...do those measurements help indicate if I have medium or heavy springs? Thanks very much for all the help as well!

Tire size is 235-70-16's and honestly make the truck look like a body builder that constantly skipped leg day! This is actually why I did not want a lift. It definitely needs new wheels with a better offset to bring them closer to the flare edge. The tires definitely need to be larger as well and this is where my other dilemma is....I didn't want to regear! Think the 5spd will help overcome the deficiency?

EDIT: the tires are cooper discovery at3's and not only did they replace all 5....they too look like they only have about 5k miles on them!

I'd say 2.5 inches with some sagging more than likely looks like they've been on for a while
With 2 inches you could easily go up to 245-70-16s
OR if you wanted to do a clevis lift you could easily get 3/4 more height in fron for free , then one extra upper iso in the rear and go to 245-75-16s
lose some power but not too much
wheels, 7 inches wide and 4 inches of backspacing sits the tire wheel combo out even with the flare.
You could sell that size tire pretty easy

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say 2.5 inches with some sagging more than likely looks like they've been on for a while
With 2 inches you could easily go up to 245-70-16s
OR if you wanted to do a clevis lift you could easily get 3/4 more height in fron for free , then one extra upper iso in the rear and go to 245-75-16s
lose some power but not too much
wheels, 7 inches wide and 4 inches of backspacing sits the tire wheel combo out even with the flare.
You could sell that size tire pretty easy

Ok...I couldn't stand it any longer so I stopped working and quickly ran out to look for the tags. After a quick look I couldn't find any on the fronts but learned I have 947's on the rear. Damn...wish they were 948's! Beggars can't be choosy though....it was free after all! Probably 925's in the front as well.

EDIT:...just noticed you were from Ohio Tom. I lived there for about 10 years. LOVED the people....HATED the weather! Also didn't like the fact that vehicles rust out from underneath you at a traffic light!

Last edited:

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while doing the clutch repair I managed to find a single tag between both front coils and they are 926's. But what I am really excited about is I found out who owned this vehicle before me and what else he installed. I have a truetrac in my rear diff! woohoo!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while doing the clutch repair I managed to find a single tag between both front coils and they are 926's. But what I am really excited about is I found out who owned this vehicle before me and what else he installed. I have a truetrac in my rear diff! woohoo!

That's sweet!

Just to be sure - not that you have any reason to not trust what the guy told you - change the diff oil in the front and rear diffs and take a look at the rear diff to confirm the TruTrac is installed. Could be the guy 'mis-spoke' and you have a lunchbox locker or even just a factory TracLock limited slip. Not that either one is bad but you want to know what you're running just the same.

Nice that you have the OME 926/947 springs - you have a nice riding KJ with that setup. And I agree with Tom... For about $25 you can lift your Jeep with a clevis lift and 1 rear iso per side so larger 245/75-16 tires will fit nicely and give you a more aggressive stance.

Great find for sure! :waytogo:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The 926s are a nice ride. They flex great. I ran some for about 60000 miles, now they're on Jo6pak's Jeep. Would still have them other than I got a winch.

Members online

No members online now.